Scene 8 - The Doctor and Susan

We are now further down the long corridor and passage, where everything now feels safe and the cluster finally stop – to regain their breath and to make some sort of move. They begin settling and taking refuge down there.

Fies:

Alright. What next then?

Laos:

The water will flood those things in. It will run through the cracks and passages that are open though so it may take some time.

Clen:

But if the creatures get out then they won't have much to worry.

Tesh:

If it will even drown them anyway.

Clen:

Alright!

Laos:

Something positive at least is that the vibrations have stopped for now. Doesn't mean we are safe from them. But we need to think about the now, that's all that counts!

James:

Yeah, well now all of our makeup has been ruined!

Fies:

That's the least of our problems. Oh! I just realized, with that being flooded and those creatures bursting left right and centre, how are we going to get to Blake and Theo?

The Doctor turns to Susan.

Doctor:

I think we have a conversation to finish.

Susan:

Now grandfather?

Doctor:

Yes, now. I am still your grandfather remember. Or have you forgotten everything else you once were when we travelled before they turned you into one of them?

Susan:

Fine. Fine.

She huffs and puffs to reluctantly follow the Doctor deeper down the path and around the corner, for some peace and quiet.

Fies:

Well I'm not going to get involved in family affairs.

Now down deeper, out of range, sight or hearing; the discussion begins.

Doctor:

What are you doing here?

Susan:

Trying to save their lives grandfather! That's what you would do anyway.

Doctor:

No, but that's not the point.

Susan:

What do you mean not the point? You just dumped me back on Earth in 2164 without any help or protection from home. All we went through, Akhatan, the Stone Age, Skaro, China, Marinus, the French Revolution, and then you just dump me on Earth to whisk away with Ian and Barbara. Come to mention it grandfather, where are they?

Doctor:

Susan! When I left you on Earth, you were sixteen. You needed to start having a life of your own!

Susan:

So you'd rather have me stuck back there then? 

Doctor:

Well at least you still had David. Besides, I don't remember asking about David or Alex...

Susan:

We're not even going there, Doctor! You know very well what happened to him! Thanks to your little friend from the Academy!

Doctor:

I couldn't do anything about the Master!

Susan:

So you say! You stopped caring about me even since you kicked me off your TARDIS. Why did I stay with you on the Death Zone in Gallifrey? Because I love my grandfather, perhaps I could have whisked away and leave you to the fate of the Daleks then and there too!

Doctor:

I've been around for a good 800 years with enough mistakes I regret, and how old are you now in what regeneration now?

Susan:

Almost 140. Second regeneration. I've been careful, and yet you've burnt through your lives and regenerations!

Doctor:

Still nothing more than a kid. Only just graduated from the Academy. So I thought you escaped in the Master's TARDIS to escape the Time Lords.

Susan:

Sound familiar to anyone, grandfather?

Doctor:

And I suppose they caught up with you. I've been there too. I see they turned you into an agent for them. A hundred years or so you've been on Gallifrey, at the Academy and then they turned you into an agent?

Susan:

Yes! Zooming around the cosmos saving Gallifrey and Time Lords when the time comes.

Doctor:

So much for laws of non-interference of affairs of other planets. And your TARDIS...

Susan:

Very latest model. Good thing I arrived when I did.

Doctor:

Of everyone it had to be to come here.

They both smile at each other, everything had been settled. They simply hug each other, now glad to see one another. They hug.

We good now?

Susan:

Yep.

Doctor:

The good old team. The original, you might say.

Susan:

Grandfather?

Doctor:

Yes Susan?

Susan:

Will this war ever end? And do you think we will still get to see our family again? Do you think we will all be reunited again?

Doctor:

Well, I hope so one day Susan. One day. When this fighting is all over. Besides, I'm not even sure if they're out there anymore. One day though. One day.

Fies quietly enters, and he coughs to sound his presence. The Time Lords turn around to face him.

Fies:

I hate to trouble you two, but we hear more vibrations coming in from the walls.

Doctor:

Then we'd better start moving again.

Susan:

Grandfather, it must be just back there. I can't feel anything here.

Doctor:

Come along then.

They leave, as do the others catching up, with of course the Ugly Sisters behind again, self-conscious of their makeup.