12

"Jameel" Aaliyah yelled, as she ran to him. He was waiting with outstretched arms, as he picked her up in his arms, and swung her around. Aaliyah sighed contently. Being in Jameels arms felt like being home. Aaliyah and Jameel both wept, as it had been so long since they had seen each other, and been with each other. But for Aaliyah, it was more, as the man she loved was standing before her. How long she had dreamt of this moment. To be reunited with her Jameel. Her love, her life, her everything. Aaliyah threw her arms around him, and hugged him with everything she had.

Aaliyah and Jameel went out for a walk, and caught up on everything.  Aaliyah mentioned being engaged to Jameel, as she wanted him to see she could move on to, even though he had no idea how badly he broke her heart.

"So what's he like?"

"He's lovely. Treats me really well, like a princess. I'm really lucky I found someone like him."

"How's Chammi?"

"She was well when I left her, but I'm just upset on my engagement, my best friend wasn't there."

"I'm sorry Jameel. I didn't know. It's not like we stayed in touch. No Jameel, don't blame yourself. Time and circumstances have changed us, and made it impossible for us to keep in touch with everything else going on. I'm sure we're different people to the people we were in school, college and when we knew each other."

"Will you come to my wedding?"

"I don't know if I'll be free, but I'll try. I've got quite a few responsibilities now. I'm not the carefree girl you used to know. I'm a different Aaliyah."

"You might be different, but my Aaliyah is still in there somewhere. She hasn't gone anywhere. She knows her best friend well, and she'll always be his Aaliyah to him. She will always be the same girl to him. Aaliyah, you know who I am and what I'm like. I know you'll still be the same Aaliyah to me. The one I used to know."

Aaliyah wanted to cry. She still was the same girl, who loved her Jameel deeply. Why couldn't he understand that?

"Life's changed me Jameel. I've had to grow up a lot, since my dad died. I'm my mums last support. I'm not the same girl."

"Aaliyah, I've told you, you might be different to everyone else, but your still the same girl I know. So tell me Aaliyah, why'd you leave?"

"You know why I left Jameel. My mum wasn't well, so I came back for her."

"Why do I feel your not telling me the truth?"

"What? Why would I hide anything from you? You were my best friend once upon a time."

"I thought I still was?"

"Are you? I don't know. So much time has passed, and circumstances have changed. I've changed. Maybe we can try and rebuild our friendship."

"So tell me the truth why you left."

"If you need to ask Jameel, your blind. I'm sorry I can't say anymore."

Jameel watched in confusion as Aaliyah ran away. What did she mean?