13

Jameel was confused. What did Aaliyah mean? Why couldn't she tell him the real reason as to why she left, all those years ago? What had happened all those years ago? What had happened to them? Where was the Aaliyah he used to know, his best friend? What had happened to their friendship? Jameel sighed, what was he going to do? How could he mend things? Jameel decided to ring home, and ask his mum for advice. He told her everything and asked what to do.

"Jameel, why are you ringing me? Everything I say to you, you ignore. What do you want me to say?"

"I won't ignore you. I'll do exactly as you say. Just tell me what to do."

"Jameel, it's been years since you let her go. You've both been through stuff. Your both different people from whom you were at college."

"I'm the same."

"You might be, but she's not. She's been through a lot, and with you turning up, her world has been turned upside down."

"Meaning?"

"Tell me one thing Jameel. Why did Aaliyah agree to go through with this silly plan of yours?"

"Because she's my best friend."

"But why would she do this favour to you? This goes above friendship."

"She enjoys doing things for me. I only asked her, she didn't have to say yes."

But why her?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why ask her? Why not anyone else?"

"Because I wanted someone I knew to pretend to be my wife."

"What if she had said no? Would you have allowed a stranger to pretend to be your wife?"

"Maybe."

"Do me a favour Jameel. Lie on your bed, close your eyes and make your mind go blank. Just think about your friendship with Aaliyah since it began, and how much she's done for you. Once you've realised your answer, call me then."

Jameel did as he was told. He thought of everything Aaliyah had done for him, and how he always took it for granted she would be there and sort it out. He realised he hadn't been a very good friend. He had taken his best friend for granted. She had done so much for him, yet he'd never thanked her properly. He stared smiling as he recalled everything. Aaliyah had always been his fake girlfriend or wife, whenever he needed help, but they had never gone to the lengths that they had done for chammi.

"Mum, I've thought of everything. I don't know what you want me to realise."

"Ok, fine. Just do one thing. Come back."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because my best friends here. I've come here to reconnect with her."

"Why? Why are you that bothered about someone who doesn't need you?"

Jameel got angry. He couldn't believe what his mum was saying. "Because I can't live without her. She's my life. I love her a lot."