14

Jameel dropped the phone in shock. He couldn't believe what he had just said. Did he really feel that way? Or did he just say it because he was feeling protective of her? He put the phone down and collapsed in his bed. What was happening? Why was he saying these things? Did he love her? He knew he loved her, but only as a friend. Or had it slowly become more over the years? He had no idea what was happening, so just shut his eyes to try and sleep.

Aaliyah was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. She had tried to sleep, but sleep had alluded her. What was she going to do? Ever since Jameel had reappeared in her life, he had turned it upside down. He had awoken her feelings for him that she had tried to keep buried, ever since she'd left him. She had tried to move on, and she thought she was succeeding, but him reappearing had turned upside down. Aaliyah had changed in her years. She was now a strong, independent young lady. She had had to become strong, for her and her mum, after losing her dad. But she couldn't be strong when it came to Jameel. She loved him so much. He could make her go weak, just by looking at her. How had her life come to this? Aaliyah's fiancé had wanted to get married, but Aaliyah kept delaying it. She kept telling herself and others it was because she was busy with work, but in truth her heart wasn't in it. This engagement to her was just a means to move on, it was a compromise. Her heart still belonged to Jameel, and it would always be his, no matter what she did. She hated feeling this way. How could Jameel still affect her this way, after everything and all these years? Aaliyah sighed. She put on a strong front for everyone over these years, her mum especially. She needed to be strong for her mum, because her mums life fell apart after her soulmate died. Aaliyah picked up the pieces and helped her mum get everything back on track.

Aaliyah was off work, due to the holidays, so caught up on some work she needed to do. Aaliyah's mum came back home with Jameel.

"What are you doing here?"

"That's a nice greeting."

"Sorry, I'm just shocked to see you here."

"Well Aaliyah, since you said that to me about us, it got me thinking. Whilst I'm here, I'm going to spend time with you and try to get our once solid friendship back on track."