22.5) It was all perfect until the long pause

His arm was around me when I woke up. 

My first thought that I wanted it to be like that everyday. 

My second was that my phone just buzzed, and I'm usually not one to answer, until more recently when it could be important. But my third was that I didn't want to get up at all; until Alex heard me stir and I looked back to see him with his morning hair and a small smirk on his face. He kissed my back lightly and rolled over. "We slept in the same bed together," he said, stretching. "How does that make you feel?"

I laugh, rolling deeper into the covers. "We didn't do anything, you loser." 

He laughed and sat up. My phone buzzed. "Can you get it? I'm busy."

"Busy with what?" Alex laughed picking up my phone. There was a long pause. A really long pause. 

"Well? What does it say?" I mumble. 

I look over when Al doesn't answer. He stands up a runs a hand through his hair, doing something to me. But it's followed with a shake of his head and an exhale. It sounds laboured. "Leah..."

"What?" I say, sitting up on the bed, concerned. 

"How long." He whispers. 

"What?" I say, furrowing. "Give me the phone."

"No," he says. "How long," he repeats, pants sagging on his hips, lips slightly spread apart. 

I sit up and try to grab the phone. "Alex, give me the phone," I say, stronger this time. 

He doesn't. "Tell me, how long, you've been getting these comments," he raises his voice. I stop trying to grab the phone and sit down. 

I avoid eye contact with him "What comments," I mumble. I dare to look back up at him and he's clenching his jaw tightly. When he doesn't answer I lie, "that's like, only the second one."

"Leah! Be serious," he says, in a worried tone. "Please."

"I'm not lying!" I say, hopping out of the bed. I throw off the covers in a huff. "I don't know why you think there would be more."

Alex chuckles in that, I'm not mad at you, but I'm definitely mad way. "I told you this would happen."

"And I believed you! I just don't care what they say," I say, grabbing my clothes I wore yesterday to change out of my pajamas into.

I walk into the bathroom and slam the door. I change my clothes and wash my face, splashing water, then tie my hair into a pony, good enough. 

Alex knocks at the door. "Leah, wanna know what they said?"

"I don't care what they said, Alex."

"They said you should kill yourself," he says, like a broken puppy. 

I shake my head. "So?"

"So? So?" 

"Yeah." I open the door and Alex is leaning against the frame. Then I walk away, grab the phone, and leave the hotel room. Alex stands there.