TWO: A night away

"Are you crazy?" The guy I bumped into asked in a rhetoric manner.

He looked sixteen or something close to that.

"Yes!" I huffed as I jerked away as fast as I could.

"What!? That's weird." He said in a calmer tone.Perhaps because he noticed that I was teary.

"What if I'm a weirdo!?" I sniffed and went on my way while I did away with the lone tear that had come down without my permission.

"Hey, listen..I.." The athãn to Zuhr prayer cut him off.

I heard him murmur something like "I hope she doesn't take offense."

I heard him say something like "I hope she doesn't take offense."

"Zuhr?!" My eyes popped out. It was Zuhr time and that could only mean one thing, 1pm. It'd been an hour since I left the house and to worsen the case, I had left my phone at home. Maami would scold my brains out.

I rushed home while I said some silent prayers, I might be lucky enough to meet her asleep or in the bathroom. I could just lie that I had returned fifteen minutes earlier.

"Where have you been? " Maami asked, as soon as I stepped into the house. She was about to go out.

"Maami.I.." Silence

"Just be careful how you go about this world. It's nothing but a temporary place. You better decide what's good for yourself" She said and left.

"What does she mean? I didn't even do anything bad. I swear I'm beginning to doubt if she really is my mother. I'm just twelve for Allah's sake."

"Where have I gone wrong to deserve all these..just where!?" I became teary again and this time, I let it flow.

1:24pm

I had just concluded my Zuhr prayer when I heard a knock on the front door. I folded up my prayer mat and attended to the knocker.

It was Maami. I murmured a welcome with a frown and returned to my room. I did not even notice that she had some vegetable bags with her until she yelled after me.

"Yes. I cannot scold my own child without
regretting it. So, because I'm correcting you..you cannot help me with the bags. But never mind, I have hands." I really could not help but ignore her. I dozed off while different thoughts occupied my mind.

*****

I walked slowly as I enjoyed the fresh breeze. I
closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. For tlhe first time ever, I was alone and my mind was at peace. It felt like a dream but nevertheless, I decided to enjoy the moment while it lasted.

"Deena..wait." A soft masculine voice called out. The voice sounded so familiar

I was swept off my feet before I could turn to
respond. I wailed as I was forced into a car. I screamed and screamed, but there was no one to rescue me. The driver turned and I saw his face.

He had that same smirk..the face I could never forget, not even in a dream. I shuddered

"Please, don't harm me..please. I..am just a kid." I tried to unlock the door, but nothing worked.

He grabbed my panicky hand and I shrieked..

******

"Deena. Hey Deen." I heard a distant voice call out. It was Hanif