EIGHT: Growth

On a second thought, I untucked my net and jumped out of bed. I peeped outside and called out to her.

"Wait for me" I said and got my box. My bunk mate was not around so I left a note on her bed.

The next morning, Ya Miimi woke me as early as 4:00am. I grumbled as I prepared to take my bath.

Ya Miimi took her bath after me and she prayed as I left for my hostel to do my morning duty and say goodbye to bunkmate.

"Good morning, Fatii" A girl from my class greeted as soon as I stepped into my hostel.

"Heyy, Hadiza..where have you been? I was told you have the question for the Basic Science assignment." I said with a small smile, then a frown.

"Yesterday bah. I was looking for my guardian. I wanted to collect my remaining money." She adjusted her white cap which had little stains on it.

"Oh. So, did you later find him?" I couldn't take my eyes off her cap. Sometimes, I felt some people didn't deserve to be my classmates or even be in senior class.

"Yes. But he said that he didn't have anything with him. So, I'll have to wait for him to come this morning before I leave." She said with a pout.

Hadiza was a girl who always looked worried. She had lost her father to a ghastly auto accident as I was told. Her Mom was a petty trader, but was still able to cater for her two children, Hadiza and her older sister who was in SS3. She was quite good in her academics and was even our class captain. She was very punctual but not that neat, so she was just a normal SS1 girl who just minded her business.

"Ok then. What about the questions?"

"Can you follow me to my sister's hostel? My things are there." She asked with a sheepish smile and I shook my head.

"Kai.. Could you please do me a favour and text it when you get home" Her sister's hostel was a little far and I had a big potion to sweep.

"Ok. I'll use my mother's number. I don't have your number o."

"Oh. If you have your Mom's own off hand, give me.. I should be able to memorize it." I said and she called out the number one after the other and I repeated after her. We did this three or more times and it stuck, so we said our goodbyes and parted.

I got to my corner, my bunkmate was still asleep.

"Ha'an.. You're not going home neh" I untucked her mosquito net.

"What brought you here now. Leave me ahbeg." She yawned and turned to the other side.

I shook her and she groaned, then she sat up.

"Howfa. Good morning." I gave her a sweet smile and she smiled back.

"How are you still sleeping? I thought you had a test?"

"The man postponed it till evening. I don't know what is wrong with him."

"He's helping you neh."I chuckled and she rolled her eyes.

"Ahbegii.. My mates will be eating at home, me I'll be here sweating."

We became closer everyday since my first day in the college and we never behaved like we had age or class differences. She was like my best friend, she understood me so well she could predict my mood.

Now, I felt she was better than my sister. Some of the things I couldn't be open to Ya Miimi about, I related to her. And she was so supportive I couldn't find anyone better than her. She helped with topics I didn't understand and that added to my academic performance. I couldn't imagine my college life when she'd graduate.