TWENTY SIX: Ready

I started to doze off but a sudden shrill from my phone jerked me fully awake

"Mr. Arrogant"

My heartbeat crescendoed and at that moment I didn't know whether to be glad that at last, he'd remembered about my existence or be angry that he hadn't until now.

My phone went silent for a while before it began to ring again. The moment I decided to pick, Hanif made entrance into the room and my thumb which was about to swipe the green icon and answer the call, froze.

Hanif had been very furious at Khalil for so many reasons. He'd wish to fist his face again the next time they meet, but that wouldn't happen since his break had come to an end and he was about to resume.

"Deen." He plopped beside me on the bed and gave me a brief hug.

"You don't look good, really. Is it because of him?" He asked in a worried tone and I quickly shook my head. Hanif was now my soldier and like my older brother. I loved it when he acted all protective over me. When he took care of me. When he gave me warm hugs and pampered me

"Please don't think too much about it. I know you've passed through a lot but that guy isn't worth your thoughts." This time, he sounded a bit angry

"Are..you leaving already." I noticed that he was all dressed up in khaki uniform.

"Uh yup. I came to say bye. I'm running late, gotta go." He stood up and strengthened his cloth.

I began to tear up but he was quick to distract me.

"How are you even a doctor..you tear up for too little issues. Ugh! I really can't address you as a doc." He stuck out his tongue a little and I rolled my eyes

"Blah blah.. I wasn't tearing up. Stop getting your hopes high, because I'm not gonna miss you." It was now my turn to stick out my tongue and I even had my lids down. I didn't realise it until I heard a click.

He's..gone

"You little brat!" I hurried after him but I was late. I only got to see his right hand wave outside the window of his friend's car.

That was quick

"I hate you!" I yelled after him as I felt tears sting my eyes

I really do

Dejectedly, I walked back to the room as I roughly brushed away a lone tear with the back of my palm. Baby Firdaus was in school, Maami at work, so I was the only one left now.