TEN: Time

My school days became lame and not so fun. I missed Saal and Aneth. Most of my time was spent either in the library with my books, or in the classroom for revisions, then the little left was for rest. I hardly participated in sports like I used to and most people wondered why. I simply kept a low profile.

That didn't mean I was unhappy, it meant I had more time to myself. It meant I became closer to my lord, I understood myself and psyche better.

The only thing that disturbed me was Ya Ali's late behaviours. I really wanted to apologize to him. I wanted him to become his old self. I didn't know why he changed so much and somehow, I felt it was me. It ate me up

He used to be all friendly and meek, but now he had changed a lot. He was either not in the mood to talk, or he yelled at the twins over silly things.

I couldn't fathom how I was connected with the kind of life he lived now. I was just confused

•••••••••

SSCE days came and passed. I graduated cum laude.

Everyone attended my graduation ceremony and I was really happy.

Aunty's twins, Nana and Hanna, got to attend because it was a few weeks to theirs and they were allowed to leave school for preparation. They presented me with a wristwatch and a designer bag.

I received recognition and so many prizes. The state government offered me a scholarship at any Nigerian Federal University of my choice

Aunty was so happy. She was the first to present with a gift after the grad ceremony. She presented me with a new phone and promised to change my wardrobe.

Ya Farhan didn't have anything for me, but he promised to make it up to me. I told him just his presence mattered.

Maami hugged me for the first time since after I knew life. Really, that day would forever be memorable.

Ya Ali was there too, but he hadn't uttered a word since his arrival. It was just nods and fake smiles. He too had a present for me.

I snapped with my family, junior pals, classmates, my teachers and even the principal. She too had given me a wrapped present which I prayed was a camera. She made me promise not to unwrap it until I got home.

I was still her favourite. I apologized the other time, after my suspension and she forgave me, but said I couldn't be the head girl. I didn't mind, I just wanted to be in her good record.

Aunty organized a small picnic for the family. We chatted and had a moment. While we ate, a girl who looked quite familiar, approached me. She said she wanted to talk to me, so I excused myself and went with her.

She handed me some package which had my pet name, Deen on it. I raised a brow in confusion.

"It's from Salim." Her English accent amazed me.

She was chocolate in complexion and some of her baby hair peeped from under her black shiny scarf. Her maroon gown barely reached her knee, but she had a a black leggings under it and she had a light makeup on.

"What? I thought he was in Canada?" I looked up from her sandals which had a combination of black and maroon. They looked good on her skinny feet.