FIFTEEN: Square One

I picked up the bag and walked out of the station. I sighted Neenah beside a bike which I supposed belonged to one of the officers at the entrance.

"Neenah.." I trailed off

She looked up to me and sniffed noisily. It looked like she had cried.

"What's with you? You just walked JLT" I wanted to sound angry

"Nothing. I just needed fresh air." She sniffed again

"And you caught cold from the fresh air?" I eyed her and she made a sorry expression.

"So, What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Let's just go."

"We're not moving from here until you tell me why you walked out just like that, only to meet you in tears." I made a serious face and all I got were sniffs.

I stared at her intensely then she finally talked.

"I'll tell you when we get back to the hostel. Promise." She finished with a sniff.

EYEROLL
Such a baby

"Okayyy. Let's go."

We got back to the room and I asked her after she had calmed down a bit.

"Yunno. I like Ya Far too. I've liked him ever since we first met."

I made a surprised expression and squinted at her.

"Why then did you react that way. As if you had been insulted because of that?"

"I really like him. I'm just scared." She sighed

"Scared. Scared of what?"

"Scared of falling for a foreign guy.." I didn't allow her to finish

"What!? Foreign guy? Why exactly?"

She told me about how her brother badly wanted to marry a Nigerian girl but her parents didn't agree because they wouldn't allow their daughter to leave her country in the name of marriage. Their parents went all the way to Nigeria to persuade with her parents but they wouldn't budge. That made her Mom furious and she had vowed that none of her two daughters would go with a foreigner too. She said her brother was broken and had changed his mind about love and marriage.

Awww..she's already thinking of marriage

"Don't worry Neenah. You guys' case will be different. Ya Far will surely fight for you." I said, not too sure of my words.

"How sure are you? You know I can't go against my Mom's wishes..even if it means dying for her happiness."

"No. I don't mean you should go against them. Just accept things as they are now. We'll surely know how to convince Mom." I smiled to assure her and she hugged me.