SEVEN: Soo Wrong..

9:28am
Sunday, 23/09/11
Zaria, Kaduna State.

The day arrived and Aunty took me to school. Maami couldn't follow us because she wasn't strong and Hanif had tests in school.

I was really glad to leave home after a long time. I was all smiles when I waved them goodbye.

Maami had called Ya Miimi's college guardian a week ago to inform her I was to start school in a week's time. So, she was by the gate side to receive me. Aunty would not be allowed in.

I got in after another 30 minutes lecture and advice from Aunty. I nodded several times to show my attention. She gave me some new naira notes to share with Ya Miimi. I thanked her and gave her a tight hug. The tears I felt in my eyes made me break away. I didn't want to be called a baby.

Finally!

I released the breath I held for too long. This meant a new life for me. I was gonna start afresh.

I stepped in through the very giant gate as I dragged my big box along. I was grateful to the young gateman that helped me with the rest. He handed them to Ya Mimi as soon as she approached me. I thanked him and he nodded, then we headed towards a table which had a middle aged woman behind it.

"Good morning Ma" Ya Miimi said with a little bow and I followed suit. She answered with a dry smile and opened a big book.

"What us your name and admission number." She asked

"Fatima Munir Sahib-Khan, 30302" I replied.

"SS1? " I nodded and she scanned through the pages.

She found my name and showed me to confirm, then asked me to sign on a little space. I did and she allocated me to Amina hostel, room 2, bunk 12.

Some girls were called to help with my things. I and Ya Miimi followed from behind, empty handed.

"How did you leave everyone?" She asked suddenly.

"Fine." I replied shortly and the rest of the walk was in silent.

Ya Miimi was in a different hostel, Emotan House. I was glad I'd live a totally free life.

We got into my hostel and Ya Miimi helped me arrange my things. She guided me on how to keep them safe. She asked if I wanted to follow her to her hostel to rest and I hesitated to answer. I wasn't too much of her fan

"If you want to stay here, toh. I have assignments to do. You know tomorrow is Monday." She said as she stood up to leave.

"Wait. Let's go." I said bit into the chocolate I took out from my locker.

Yumm...chocolates are the best!

I gave her a stick and she thanked me.

We strolled down to her hostel while a few people passed by. Ya Miimi had told me earlier that if I saw any of my seniors, I should greet them to avoid trouble. So, I only had to answer a few questions.. My name, class and day of birth.

When we got into her hostel, we met a group of her mates at the entrance.

Ya Miimi stopped to say hi and I stood there in wait.