Chapter 18

[ Rose's Point of View ]

"We're leaving in ten!"

I jerk my head up and look in the direction of the garage. Is it almost twelve already? I snatch a paper towel from the automatic dispenser and pat my face dry. Flipping my head upside down, I comb my hair into the neatest ponytail I can currently manage and fasten it with an elastic. I feel guilty that I'm putting more than just myself in danger, but I can't just leave them short a person.

"Hey, Rose." The door to the bathroom swings open with such explosiveness that I jolt and throw up my hands, only to relax when I see it's only Letty. "Are you sure you're gonna be okay enough for this?"

Despite how I've been questioning that myself, I nod and give the best reassuring smile I can muster. "Of course, I'm typically the least reckless of the crew,"

Letty snorts and rolls her eyes in obvious disagreement, though she doesn't seem like she's gonna voice it this time. "That seems to have been changing lately," her gaze shifts from my face to my belly before back up to meet my eyes. "You're a grown-ass woman and I can't tell you what to do, but please do be careful. Just remember you're acting for three now,"

"Three?" I raise my eyebrows at her. The hell could she mean by that?

"Yeah," she jerks her chin in a quick nod and starts to move past me to the bathroom stall, giving a glance to each before speaking. "You, the kid, and whatever hellion has possessed you lately,"

"Got it," I nod and smile again as I move towards the door. "Thank you, Letty, I will," I slip out of the bathroom and down the hallway towards the garage where our cars have been prepared.

Mr.Nobody, as he naturally seems to do, upgraded our cars to the best of his technical ability and supposedly made certain unknown aspects safer. I'm fine with him upgrading my car, just as long as it can be undone and I can still work on my own car without dealing with a whole bunch of computer bullshit.

I feel a hand brush my waist and twist around to see Deckard having slipped to my side.

"We're leaving in two minutes," he says softly and leans down, pressing a chaste but loving kiss to my lips and giving a squeeze to my waist with his hand. "I love you and be safe, I won't be far if something goes wrong,"

Guilt pulls at my gut and I try to ignore it, smiling at Deck as he starts to slip away and back towards where his car is parked. "Of course, be safe and I love you too,"

He disappears into his car and I quickly make my way towards my own, pulling the keys from my pocket. Everything should go as planned, and if it doesn't I'm sure we will still be fine,"

With the information, we'd gotten from Crosse and few clues we've gotten from Travis's scrambled memories, we managed to find out that the shipment being sent out tonight happened to conveniently cross through this city and wasn't a very big vehicle like most would think. An SUV was being used to run shipments to Cypher, and that SUV also happened to be going directly to wherever she was staying or where she currently was. After a while of thinking, we decided to attack a tracker to the SUV and loosely follow to collect information. My only big role is to tag the car without being noticed.

"We're heading out!" Luke announces as he struts into the garage and to his truck, getting in as the garage door mechanically lifts open.

I start my car and close the door, fastening my seatbelt and shifting into gear before filing out with the others. Driving onto the street, I tap the power button to the "GPS" on my dashboard and follow towards the route the delivery vehicle is supposed to be taking.