Four

Halloween Dance

Any reason for someone to get together with their pack members and party was always a good time. For Danelia, this had never been the case. Sure she was invited to come to the parties but she hadn’t even tried to belong to a social circle. Now that she was stepping out on Halloween with a dress designed by some unknown artist. And there were whispers and stares aplenty. She could do this. It was just a dance. The first and last one she was ever going to. Not as sentimental as prom but it clearly meant that the girls of the high school could get away with dressing and acting like prostitutes without too much to worry about from staff faculty members.

She was only there as a favor to Carmichael anyway.

When he came to her the second week of school and asked her to be his date to the dance she thought he was kidding. But he wasn’t. And he nagged her about a dress pattern for two weeks straight never letting up for even a second. When she finally relented, he came prepared. The next time he saw her he bombarded her with questions about patterns and cloth she liked and what color looked best on her. When it all came down to it, Danelia consented to a modest outfit that wasn’t too ridiculously revealing. She wasn’t a prude but she surely didn’t need to step outside the dance hall and be propositioned for a going rate either.

Danelia dressed the part of a naughty secretary and Carmichael had a tailor made three-piece suit. He was going for a chic and sauvé look and thought they looked hot. Before the dance they decided to test out if they had the desired affect. They dined at an upscale restaurant for dinner where men of varying ages tried to buy both she and Carmichael drinks. As flattered as they both were they were quick to let them know that they were underage. As wonderful as the night was, they didn’t want to ruin it by getting anyone into trouble with the law.

By the time Carmichael deemed them to be fashionably late they drove to the rented hall and people outside did double takes. Unlike other girls of the evening, Danelia stood out the most because of what was left to the imagination. Her ¾ inch sleeves as well as her unbuttoned collar flashing her generous swell of cleavage kept plenty of boys eyes riveted to her. She would have been lying if she said she didn’t like the attention.

She was still very much nervous of who she would bump into at the dance and thought to hide, but found she didn’t stand a chance when her favorite techno song came on.

She and Carmichael made it to the floor just as the opening line to Robyn’s Konichiwa Bitches came on. She pretended to pop and lock with Carmichael but all she ended up doing was acting like a fool and she loved it. She was liking the dance so far, until Noland walked in with his posse.

Had she known he was going to show up she wouldn’t have come. Who would have thought that the star of the football team would come to some dinky Halloween dance hosted by the school. Just when she thought her night was going well it was all turning to mush.

She tried, in vain, to act as if seeing him didn’t matter. Her lupa was silently begging her to go near him, just to make him aware that they existed. And for once she listened to her. She danced her way over to his little group and at first his stiff posture gave him away.

He did feel something and Danelia felt a little spark of hope. But it was quickly dashed when he shook it off and went to the punch bowl. She sighed, losing hope completely for that evening. She didn’t even know why she wanted him to notice her. She wasn’t about to give up her freedom to be with him even if he wanted her. It just hurt her pride knowing that she couldn’t attract the one guy she was meant to be with.

“I'm ready to go Carmichael,” she whispered into his when she made it back over to his side.

“Oh okay. Let me take you home.”