Six

The Ordinance arrived sooner than she wanted it to. She couldn’t even remember what she had gotten for her birthday let alone what she did. It was all a somber affair for Danelia. Try as they might her family could do nothing to pull her from the funk she was in.

Her lupa was quiet and solemn. She only knew that her wolf spirit was still there when she thought about Noland.

A week following her birthday she was to have a one on one meeting with Alpha Turner about her decision. And then three days later he would host a party for her and other new pack members just to welcome them.

The dream plagued her nightly. She was always running away from Noland and even still when she was awake she thought of him constantly. She felt like she were losing her mind and only knew of one way to stop it.

“Alpha Turner, may I have an audience with you?” Danelia asked. Showing up at the Alpha’s house without calling wasn’t customary in the Cleese Pack. So to get in she had had to lie to the guards.

She had hoped she could catch him alone when she spoke to him, but that was not the case. He, Noland plus his girlfriend Ruby and a few betas were in the middle of some sort of celebration when Danelia and Carmichael were escorted in. Her body tensed upon seeing Noland. She looked at him longingly. With a gentle nudge, Carmichael helped her get back her focus.

She breathed deep and turned to the Alpha of the Cleese Pack. Turner Cleese was the double of Noland in looks and physique. They could have very easily passed for twins if it were not for the dark cast of light on half of Turner’s devastatingly handsome face.

The man clearly had an alpha’s presence of power about him. Albeit a dark power, but a power none the less. Most wolves would have been humbled by the authoritative aura around him but Danelia was frightened of it and was glad to have so many people in the room with her.

“I am in the midst of celebrating,” he answered.

Carmichael, whom had accompanied her for moral support to the Alpha’s house, stood back so that they could pretend they had some privacy.

“I promise this will only take a moment.”

“And as I said I am busy.”

“This matter is very important, to my mate and myself,” Danelia announced.

Stunned, Alpha Turner turned his gaze to Carmichael, “I thought you were a homo?”

Danelia bristled. “No. Not him. Your brother.”

“What?” Alpha Turner demanded.

“It’s Noland. He’s my mate.”

A collective gasp sounded throughout the room

“An omega and a beta together? It seems unlikely,” he answered snidely. “My brother and an omega? Especially one such of your nature.”

“Alpha Cleese that is why-”

Noland came to her then, sniffing her. Inhaling her scent. She could tell from the look on his face that he had realized she was telling the truth. The look he had at that moment would forever be cemented in her memory. He seemed angered as well as disgusted that fate would treat him so low. If her lupa doubted his wolf’s feelings, she saw it then and she quieted instantly. She more than saw it, she felt it.

Ignoring the pain of her wolf, she turned to the Alpha and then back to Noland. She looked him straight in his eyes, “Alpha Turner Cleese, Noland Cleese, I renounce my claim to this wolf. He will never be seen as my mate. We will share no bond, we will share no love. We will share no life.” With that said Danelia turned and left. So stunned that they were, no one bothered to stop her, no one spoke to her retreating back.

She tried to be strong on the walk back home but the last of her strength left her the final quarter of a mile there. She sank to her knees, her loneliness deepening into the caverns of her soul. A minute or two later, she heard the crunch and roll of tires against the gravel of the road and seriously hoped it was a car coming to put her out of her misery. Then she felt Carmichael’s arms come around her and lift her into the back seat of his car. Were it not for him, she thought out loud, she would have stayed where she was and waited for someone to get smart enough to dig her a grave to shove her into. She staggered to her feet with his help when they got to her house.

“Lia sweetie, what were you thinking?”

“Clearly not about the appropriate shoes to wear when walking home,” she joked.

Carmichael frowned. Danelia could see his worry lines appear on his forehead.

“Do you know what you’ve done?”

“Yes I know,” Danelia said firmly. “And I'm not going to go over this with you.”

“Fine, but just know that you’ve gone and done it now.”

“I can bet.”

“The Alpha was furious. He went off like am M80 on the 4th of July.

Lia harrumphed, “I can bet he went ballistic.”

“No one expected you to be Noland’s mate or to deny him. I mean babe why?”

“Ruby is pregnant,” she said aloud for the first time since finding out.

“What? I thought… wow… just wow. That’s why he didn’t recognize you as his mate. How do you know?”

“I overheard them talking. He was going to deny me anyhow. I just beat him to the punch.”