Burned

Cherry's POV

The first thing I sense is people talking. Noise; it's all just noise. Why are they so loud?

The next thing I sense is my eyes trying to open themselves, so I order my brain to help them along their way. As they open more I blearily see the builds and clothing of Aunt Cass, Hiro, Gogo, Honey Lemon, Wasabi, and Fred all in a lump. They all seem to look sad or worried.

The next thing I sense is my brain screaming:
Where is Tadashi?!

Now awake and aware that my fiance is missing from my bedside I sit up, albeit slowly and dizzily with the faint feeling of vomiting.
Everybody gasps and runs to me, and I feel a hand on my back and look up to see a nurse who is starting to check my vitals.
So I'm in a hospital. But where is Tadashi??

"Tadashi," I blurt out desperately, my brain not catching up with my mouth. The others look even more sad and worried, and suddenly my brain speeds up and I get hit with confused anger. Still sitting up, grasping the edges of my bed for support plus the nurse still helping me, I ask, "Where is Tadashi?"

Nobody answers; nobody talks.

I'm fed up with this and I'm getting scared. From what I remember, I just got flung from a burning building into a wall!
"Where is Tadashi?!"

Aunt Cass finally comes forward and rests a hand on my shoulder, tears brewing in her eyes.
Oh no. That means something is wrong with me or Tadashi. Or both. But not neither. Oh fuck, what's happened to us?

Aunt Cass takes a deep breath. "Cherry, you and Tadashi have both been slammed from the entrance into one of the billboards near SFIT. We thought you wouldn't..." she trails off, the tears beginning to break, and Honey Lemon steps forward to console her.

My mind is a mess. What happened to me in this hospital bed to make them think that? What about Tadashi in his hospital bed?!

I grasp Honey's arm as she nears.
"Where is Tadashi?!"
She closes her mouth and gulps, choosing instead to hold Cass in her slender arms. The caring Latina backs off and leads Cass to a chair.
Why aren't they telling me anything??

Still sitting up, I think through my next words and take several breaths to clear my mind of all the confusing thoughts whirling about my head. "What did the doctors conclude about Tadashi and I?" Solid question, yes; it sounds logical, which I hope is what they're looking for.

Cass bursts into a fresh set of tears. That's very not comforting and puts another load of red flags in my head, but I need to know the answer to my question so I turn my head to the nurse who is still propping me up but looking very nervous. I focus my fuzzy sight on him, managing to lock my direct brown eyes with his nervous blue ones.
"Tell me. Please."

The nurse considers it in his head, then looks at my determined expression, sighs, and motions to Fred to give him the doctor's clipboard attached to my bed. My friend slowly takes the board and goes round my bed to pass it, and as he gets next to me he asks to replace the nurse in propping me up, then places a reassuring hand on my back and another on my shoulder, apologising quietly when I wince at a short burst of white hot lightning shooting through my shoulder.

The nurse clears his throat, and I feel Fred's hand on my back tense and see everyone else with grim looks on their faces - they've heard it before. They know what's happened with me and Tadashi.

And I can tell it's not gonna be good news.

"Miss Riegan," Mrs Hamada or Mrs Riegan hopefully soon but go on, "Your crash from a wide distance lead you to have a slight head injury, mass tissue damage and scarring over your body, a broken arm and a broken wrist on the opposite arm, one broken leg, and you were close to having a part of your vertebrae shifting so you will need to be monitored carefully over the next few weeks. As for the breaks, we were able to put your arm and wrist and leg back in place in an emergency operation as soon as you came through the hospital doors."