A Spot Of Tea And Abandonment

Tadashi's POV

I walk with Cherry up the main shopping street in San Fransokyo on a frosty late November day, trying to figure out what to get Wasabi for his birthday in a couple weeks - and secretly Cherry's, because I asked Tonya when her birthday is and it's the day after Wasabi's. She has no idea though, and thinks that I dragged her along so that I can tear her away from studying. The only reason she agreed was because Hiro was at school doing his exams and Aunt Cass was busy in the cafe so there was nobody else to supervise or help - next time when she needs to relax I might try that out.

I stop next to a store that sells just about everything to do with tea, and peer inside the partially frosted front window. Inside the shop are beautiful displays consisting of intricately painted teapots and explanations of each tea flavour - there's a lot of tea in the world, I'm just beginning to realise.
I turn to Cherry, who's kicking stones with a neutrally bored face next to me.
"What do you think?" I ask her, "Don't you think Wasabi would love a handmade teapot?"
"How much tea does he drink?" she asks noncommittally to the ground, and I reply,
"Well, the normal amount, but he loves it so why not get him a prettier version of something he loves?"

She raises an eyebrow, face still to the floor. "If he's already got a teapot which you imply he does, why get him a new one? He won't use either the old one or the new one now so one of them will be wasted. Spend your money on something practical he actually needs, like parts for that experiment he's trying out. That's what I'd get him."
She spoke with a slight air of pining, and I wish she would tell me more. I know not to push it though - I've already dragged her out here when she was studying in her break, which she expressly said to never do.

I take her arm and pull her into the tea shop, and we're both immediately hit with a plethora of scintillating smells. I breathe in deeply, enjoying each scent to its fullest. Cherry beside me just stares at me like I'm mad.
"So, what are you gonna get him?" Cherry asks, disinterested, and I set off looking at each teapot that's displayed. I circle each one and marvel at the intricacy of the painting, but am partially distracted by a loud noise from another part of the shop. Cherry hears it too and pops her head up, then tugs my shoulder, her mask gone and replaced with a frozen face.
When I look up I see why: across from us there's a child laughing with their mother in the shop.

Cherry's eyes shine slightly and her mouth twitches. What's she thinking about?

I look at the child with their mother, the mother smiling radiantly at them and the child hanging onto her hand pointing at things they deem 'lovely,' and suddenly I start to remember an old memory that comes up from years and years ago. Fourteen years ago... such a long time...

A small 5 year old boy jumps up and down, pointing excitedly at something above him and waggling his mother's hand until she looks round and notices.
"Look Mommy! A helicopter kit! Please, please will you buy it for me?" He stares up at her with huge brown eyes, the same ones that melt everybody's hearts when they see it.
Tadashi's mother chuckles. "You know I'm the only person who can resist that look Tadashi. Almost. Besides, we're here for things for the baby." She pats her swollen stomach, filled with nearly eight months of a baby Tadashi simply couldn't wait to meet. He longed and yearned for a baby brother or sister to play and chat with, and of course show them his cool inventions made out of Lego and Kinnex and scraps he finds in the bins on trash day!

Still putting on the charm Tadashi puts his arms round his mother's belly.
"Pleeaase, Mommy? I'm your firstborn, currently your only child, the apple of your eye, the-"
"Okay, fine, fine!" she laughs at the small raven-haired boy and grabs the helicopter box. "Just don't tell your father - he thinks I'm too soft on you. Well, I don't doubt that for a second."
She pinches Tadashi's small chubby cheeks and ruffles his messy mop of hair, and he squeals and jumps up and down. He hugs her again.
"Thank you soo much Mommy!"