Meet The Family

Cherry's POV

I walk to the Lucky Cat cafe, shivering slightly in my old jacket. But until I can gather enough money to put aside for a good winter coat, I guess I'm stuck trying to huddle in the leather. I don't mind - really.

Earlier today a group of other SFIT students walked into the cafe and discussed this topic I'd never heard of, and from what they were saying it sounds like it's important for me to know before applying. I don't have any Internet or Wifi so I called Tadashi and like a shot he offered for me to come round and let me use his Internet to research. Due to the immediate agreement I'm assuming he's taking his promise to help whenever I need him seriously.

I get to the cafe and, before I knock on the door to let any of the family know I'm here, I look through the storefront window and wonder about ever applying for a job here. Of course, I would keep my one at my current cafe as I need as much money as I can get, and of course Tadashi would vehemently deny any further employment to his aunt for my health and work. But he hasn't seen my apartment, properly seen it: how small and cramped it is; how everything is scavenged from the streets or charity shops; how I barely have any money left over from rent to get my dog any food, let alone me. I need more money.

Still holding onto the faint idea I knock loudly on the door. Out the corner of my eye I see the fabric of a curtain twitch above me, and a light switches on to illuminate the large waving cat perched on top of the shop front. As heavy quick steps start up I breathe in deeply and steady myself.

This will be the first time I see inside Tadashi's living space, and although I obviously don't like him like that, I get nervous about what this means. Until I shake my head. This is only professional. For work. Get your mind out of the gutter, Riegan.

Another light showing some stairs comes on and I can't help but smile fondly as Hiro appears followed closely by and pushing with Tadashi down the steps, struggling to find who will let me in first. Hiro wins and runs to the door, unlocks it, and smiles widely. I can't stop smiling at him and how goofy they're being, until I spot his older brother finally come up behind him and I remind myself I'm here to learn, not have fun.

Tadashi grins. "Hey Cherry. Sorry, my brother here is a knucklehead," and Hiro looks up at his tall brother and sticks his tongue out at him. I resist the urge to snicker, and nod.
"Hello Tadashi. So, am I still able to use your computer?"
He nods and motions for me to come in. I step into the shop and am instantly hit with sweet-smelling baked goods and the soothing scents of traditional San Fransokyo foods as well as I think some Asian dishes that were served and eaten throughout the  day. Even though it's evening now I can breathe in and imagine all the people that flitted through here today, laughing and chatting and eating the wondrous food. This Aunt Cass Tadashi talks about in my cafe must be an amazing host and cook.

"Why do you need our computer?" A voice chirps and I glance at Hiro whilst Tadashi from what I can see mimes threatening him.
"My Internet is down and I have a module from my course to learn." Well, it will be my course if I get in. And technically my Internet is always down. What's the harm in a couple little white lies to a child?
Tadashi guides me upstairs to their home above the shop where his aunt is taking something sweet-smelling out the oven. She sniffs them and rolls her eyes back and licks her lips, then as she sets them down on a cooling rack she spots me looking round.
This is where he watches TV and eats - not that I care.

Cass smiles the same as her younger nephew did. "Hi - Cherry is it? I'm so happy to meet you for the first time! You know, Tadashi talks about you all the time, poor love!"
"Aunt Cass..." Tadashi warns nervously, his lip sucking into his mouth.
"Oh stop it Tadashi, I'm sure you'd love to hear about him, wouldn't you?" She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear and laughs at Tadashi's red face, and I resist the urge to smile and instead nod politely. Tadashi murmurs at me to go up another flight of stairs and I wave goodbye politely to Ms Hamada, 'just call me Aunt Cass,' and I walk up, looking at the wall going up.
There are a couple of portraits of the family: Tadashi through different stages of life, same for Hiro, pictures of them together or both with Aunt Cass... but none showing the boys' parents. Of course, it's not my place to wonder, but...

Tadashi ducks in front of me and opens the door, and I step into their shared bedroom.

The first thing I notice is how messy the floor is and how there seems to be the most mess accumulated round an open screen door. Tadashi sees this and rushes to pick everything up and throw it into the makeshift sub-room, and I raise an eyebrow.

Tadashi's POV

Bloody Hiro! When I get downstairs I'm going to kick his skinny little behind, I think as I gather up most of his dirty clothes and pile them onto his bed, then pull his screen door closed. Satisfied at the now okay state of the room I turn back to Cherry, who is still standing in the same spot she was when I turned my back and still retaining the neutral look on her face whilst surveying the room.

She clasps her hands together.
"So... your computer?" she asks, expertly ignoring the mess, and I blink back into the room and pull out the desk chair for her and turn on our computer, clicking on a new tab so she doesn't have to look at tons of botfighting arenas. I really need to talk to Hiro about that. I wonder if he ever thinks of going there after graduating...

She hesitates, staring at the screen, then turns to me and says quietly but matter-of-factly, "I don't know how to use a computer."
I blink several times again and go, "Yeah, yeah, that's fine. Uh, tell me what you want to know and I'll type in the search bar here," I point to the search bar then to the keyboard, "with these here. Then it'll come up with loads of answers to the question."

She stares at me quizzically. "But if there's loads of different answers, how do I know which one is the right one?"
I shrug. "That's why people take loads of time on the Internet."
Cherry looks back to the computer and tells me what to type in, and as I do I watch her eyes widen when the screen changes and is filled with different website links. I guide her to the mouse and tell her what it is and how to use it and she slowly moves it around and clicks on the first link, which is an ad for slimming.
She breathes out in frustration, and it's then when I realise she hasn't put her mask back on since she sat down.

(●-●)

I keep helping her with the computer until gone dark, and we both snap out of our small silent world when Hiro rushes in and shouts at us that it's suppertime. Cherry looks at me, quizzical yet again and refreshingly mask-less.
"Does that mean I've been made food too?"
I shrug, although it's Aunt Cass so she probably has. I shut off the computer - Cherry watching with a confused face - and we walk downstairs. In the kitchen and living room Aunt Cass and Hiro are prepping the meal, which is a spread of Yakitori.
Aunt Cass looks up and smiles at the both of us.
"Hey! Now, Cherry, I made extra just in case you decided to have supper with us. It's Yakitori."

Maybe it's Aunt Cass and her abundant charm; maybe it's Hiro's funny smile; maybe, hopefully, it's the fact I'm here; but either way, after consideration Cherry nods and moves swiftly to sit down in the spare chair. Aunt Cass smiles at her then grins at me and sits down herself. I shake my head helplessly and sit in the chair next to Cherry and opposite Hiro.

"Now, shall we begin?" Aunt Cass says, and we all nod and tuck in. As I start eating I watch Cherry stare at the skewers and carefully pick one up and nibble at it. Perhaps she hasn't had any before? Whatever the reason, she seems to like it by a tiny smile I just about catch, and her shoulders sink as she gets into it.

The four of us eat until every single piece is gone. Throughout the dinner Aunt Cass and Hiro ask Cherry questions about herself and she answers quietly but in scarcity, which thankfully the two don't pick up on and continue chatting companiably.

After we finish Aunt Cass offers to drive Cherry home as it's dark, and Cherry looks outside through the window and slowly nods. I ask if I can go too - I want to be with her too - and Aunt Cass says firmly that I need to keep an eye on Hiro as he's only thirteen and needs an early bed for exams, and I grumble a "fine."

I watch from the window the car start up and the girls drive off, and hear a throat clearing behind me. I spin round and see Hiro smirking with his hands on his hips.

"You like her."
"No I don't," I instantly reply because that's what you do with your kid brother, "I'm just... interested."
"Yeah, interested in lurve," Hiro retorts, grinning widely. "You love her!"
"No I don't!" I insist childishly, but every time I say it my little brother points at me and laughs and dances around more. I give up and lean against the windowsill.

I don't love her. I just might have... a little crush.

Yeah. A little crush. No harm in a little crush...