Our Fate

Cherry's POV

It's been nearly five months.

He's still asleep.

I'm getting more worried and panicked as each hour ticks by. What if he never wakes up? What if he's already gone? What if he never knows that I miscarried our child and Hiro isn't talking to me anymore and my life is falling apart because without him I panickingly don't see the point of working toward a future that doesn't have him in it?

What if, what if, what if?

And I know the doctors are thinking this too. Once, a few weeks ago, I stayed hidden in his room after hours, and the doctors came in and started talking about him. They say that if he hasn't shown any major signs of rehabilitation or movement or speech in the next week, they're making the executive decision to pull his plug.

I can't let them. I won't let them. His hands sometimes move. And I see him murmur faintly. He's in there - he just needs a while longer.

I stay up every night, daydream during classes, put off homework, moving to my lonely empty apartment after Hiro demanded I do, lounge about at work trying to figure out ways to wake him up.

True love's kiss? Doesn't exist.

Shock him into waking up? After being with me nothing should shock him anymore: I once walked into his room with an electric whisk yelling about how dance is just maths and science in the middle of the night when we were about to have sex.
I was very sleep deprived from my recent project.

Rounds of call and response? Might work - he loves answering questions, the adorkable scientist he is.

But whatever I come up with, I try and it either doesn't work, or doesn't work enough to show the doctors he can be saved.

And then, one day, today, after a while of crying at his bedside and persisting that he'll get better and he doesn't, I do the worst thing I thought I'd never do...

I give up.

In his hospital room, sitting next to him, everyone around me, holding his hand, I decide that it's time.

It's time to say goodbye to Tadashi, my love and my happiness.

"Doctor?" I call out and the clipboard lady comes in almost immediately, as if she were waiting outside the door. Next to her stands a nurse that has been very kind to me every time she's seen me crying next to Tadashi. She comes over to me and rubs my back, and out the corner of my eye I see everyone else crowd closer.

I reach a hand to Aunt Cass. She comes over and seems to know what I'm about to say, and nods sadly.
Hiro comes over and looks between the two of us.
"What are you two doing?"
I look down, and Cass lets out a sob.

This poor boy: he found out for all of us that it was Callaghan who had started the fire and hid in his microbots and let Tadashi burn, and then he had to fight Callaghan and save his daughter from inside a portal.
He, along with our friends - not me, I wasn't asked, understandably - stopped Callaghan from destroying San Fransokyo and rescued his daughter. He has been through the ringer these last few weeks; he doesn't deserve to have this happen to him. At least he's using Tadashi's instructions and making a new Baymax - God only knows we'll need him.

But I can't cling onto false hope any longer, and I can't do it to them either. It's hurt more than all those times I've pushed Tadashi away because I wasn't ready and seen him upset combined. And that's a lot of times.

I take a deep breath, close my eyes, and say, "Turn the machine off."

Gasps emanate from around the room, followed by cries and wailing. Hiro shouts in my ear in protest and Cass next to me wails louder, but all I can hear is my heart breaking all over again.