Woman Vs Cat

Cherry's POV

I'm in Tadashi and Hiro's shared room revising again - I don't seem to know enough about medical knowledge, which is what Tadashi says is a necessity to being a student there, as there seems to be a lot of injuries around inventors.
Or, as it annoyingly seems to be, trying to study then getting distracted by Tadashi sitting next to me on his bed and reading with his shirt off because it's hot.

The room is hot...
Not him... okay, maybe a little him.

Tadashi after a while shuts his book, neatly places it on the bed, rolls off and claps his hands together.
"So, Cherry, you want anything to eat? I'm just going downstairs to the cafe to nab a donut or something." I shake my head and try to keep reading, resisting the impulse to watch his ass disappear down the steps in those jeans after he leaves the door open. Urfh, Cherry, get a grip; you sound worse than Tonya.

As I finally read in peace, I start to hear a little bell jangling.
I look up.
It stops.

I look back down at my book, and it starts up again.
I look up, and again it stops dead.

Disconcerted by this unfamiliar noise, I shift on Tadashi's bed until I'm sitting up against the headboard and settle in to refocus.
I don't hear anything except the light hum of the computer on standby mode - until I feel something brush against my hand behind my book, and slowly like in a horror movie I pull my book to one side... to be met dead in the eyes by a fat furry thing that's smaller than Bella with a nonexistent snout and cold eyes like a demon's.

What is this, and how is it in Tadashi's house? Does this warrant some type of energency call? WHAT DO I DO WITH IT?!

As I'm thinking all of this through in my head, my panic rises as the ball of fluff takes one of its paws with tiny pads on them, reaches out, and boops my nose with it. For a few seconds I'm utterly perplexed, I shout without thinking:

"Tadashi! There's a thing in your room and I don't know what it is! HELP!"

Immediately I hear footsteps running up, and moments later Tadashi comes through the door to stare at me incapacitated and freaked out with this unknown purring thing on my chest - and fucking laughs at me.

"What's funny?! Get this thing off of me! What is it?!" I insist.
Tadashi spends a few more seconds laughing at me, then comes over and picks the animal up and drops it just outside the door. He sits back onto the bed, and I glance at the strange grey hairball as it glares at me with a paralyzing sense.

"What is that?!" I demand to know, and Tadashi just bursts into laughter again. I punch him in the shoulder.
"Hey, hey! Go easy on me please! You must be trained in something cuz that really hurts," he complains rubbing his shoulder, then chuckles. "That thing is a cat. My cat, Mochi. Haven't you seen a cat before? Like on the streets or whatever?"
I shake my head. "The only animals we see are dogs and birds and lizards and komodo dragons."

Tadashi laughs again, the sound filling the room humming in the corners, and I suddenly realise that I'm letting my guard down in front of a very shirtless Tadashi. I quickly resume my book reading against his headboard, hiding my face with my book. I can feel him lying next to me and start to read again.

Why hasn't he gone back downstairs to get his donut?