Chapter 3 - Hopeless Romantic

It was decided. Today is the day. Today is the day he'll finally tell him.

Dream was going to tell Cross how he felt about him.

He wasted no time getting himself dressed for the occasion, tossing his cape, gloves and shorts, and replacing them with long, dark blue jeans and shiny black shoes. He knew that Cross would most likely say no, but he wanted to look casual instead of something out of a Marvel comic book.

He didn't see the point in bringing chocolates or flowers. More sentimentality went into words, in his opinion, instead of wasting money on empty gifts that would be tossed the moment he left. Granted, Cross would definitely keep chocolate, but even he said once that the average chocolate bar tasted loads better than boxes of chocolate. Besides, he was doing this more so to get this empty phase of a crush off his chest.

Dream believes that these crushes happen towards random people because he feeds off of others' positivity. Whenever someone gets a crush on someone else, if Dream absorbs their positive energy, he begins to feel the same emotions. It's super embarrassing. Confessing to the person is his way of moving on, as waiting it out never worked, something he realized after his last little crush. With everything in order, he snapped his fingers, teleporting to the backyard of his brother's castle.

Conveniently, Cross was already there, sitting at the dusty, old piano, staring at the keys, as if something very interesting was happening on them. His fingers twitched, wanting to press down the keys, but his arms wouldn't move from his lap.

He noticed something move in his peripheral vision, and he stood up, turning around.

He wasn't exactly expecting Dream of all people to be in their backyard.

He remembered not to attack, as he as well as all of his teammates were told that he and Nightmare were okay now, after about a million years.

"Nightmare isn't home at the moment, you should come back later," he informed the Guardian.

"No, it was actually you I wanted to talk to," Dream replied, shifting his weight onto one of his feet and scratching the back of his skull.

Cross wore a look of confusion, before pointing to himself. "Me? Why?" Dream walked up to Cross, looking around before awkwardly making eye contact with him.

"I'm not gonna waste any time doing this. Lately I've been having romantic feelings for you, despite us barely knowing each other at all. I'm so sorry for putting you in such a weird spot, but I need to know what your answer is," Dream's cheekbones were tinted with yellow magic, an apologetic look in his eye sockets.

Cross blinked, trying to process everything. "...Sorry, but I'm gonna say no. As you said, we barely know each other, and you and your relationship with Nightmare just began getting repaired."

The soldier scratched the back of his skull, deciding to tell Dream the real reason. "Besides, I'm in love with someone else. I'm sorry."

Dream's grip tightened. The Guardian forced a smile onto his face, then loosened his grip again slowly, letting go as he spoke again. "I was about ninety-nine percent sure you'd say no, so I'm glad I know that much about you," he laughed awkwardly, stepping back a little. "I...mainly wanted to tell you just so I could just, move on, y'know?"

Cross looked at Dream again, tilting his head at his words. "How long have been holding this in?"

Dream stepped back. "A little while. Not long, just a few days, maybe? It happens whenever anyone begins to develop a crush on someone, since I absorb positivity. The feeling of love keeps me awake at night every time I get it, so I'd prefer to get rid of it at the first opportunity. Thanks for not making a big deal out of it, by the way," Dream joked, trying not to show his dismay and make things more awkward than they already are. "I'm a little heartbroken, but that's okay. That just means whoever does have a crush on you must love you with all of their soul. I hope you get whoever you have eyes for, Cross."