Chapter 24

A/N: Okay, this is important, please listen.
MiraiShiaki mentioned this in their announcements, but I'll put it here in case anyone doesn't know:

There's this scam going around Wattpad where someone messages you about being an editor or something like that for an agency of sorts, and they researched it to find out that it was, indeed, a scam.
Don't click on the links either, as it may contain a virus.
I'm putting here for everyone reading because I can't announce things, and because I got a message like this as well. I deleted the conversation, and they reported the user.

Don't listen to these people, and please do your research before thinking any of these messages are legitimate.

    "You ready to go, Nights?" Cross called up the stairs. "Yeah, I'm coming!" Cross was more exited about the trip than Nightmare thought, so he somehow ended up being ready before him, despite all the things he does to get ready in the morning.

Nightmare practically threw himself downstairs, after spending most of the morning quadruple-checking to make sure he remembered to pack the box and the ring inside of it. He slipped his boots on as fast as he could, not wanting to keep his boyfriend waiting.

Cross laughed. "Stars, Nightmare! I can wait!" He only huffed in response as he finished tying the blue-green laces on his boots. "Okay, you ready? You got everything?" He asked. Nightmare nodded. "Yep, let's go." Before they were able to make a step out of the door, Killer, Horror and Dust raced downstairs. "Bye!" Goodbye!" "See ya in two days!" They all said. Cross giggled. "Yeah, bye guys!"

    Nightmare stared. "And you're sure I can leave you three here alone?" "Nights, they're gonna be fine." Cross assured. "Besides, Dream and Blue are coming over soon aren't they?" Killer nodded. "Yep, they'll be here in half an hour!" "Great, they'll keep you in check." Killer and Dust would've talked back, but they knew what Nightmare said was true.

    They waved again to the trio from the line of purple trees going into the forest, before heading inside. Sure, they could just teleport there, but the entire point of the trip was to take the scenic route. Besides, Nightmare missed his forest. He hadn't walked through it in a long time. Things had been so busy, he never found the time. He got lost in thought as he stared up at the lilac leaves that fell seemingly endlessly, littering the pathway. These trees never seemed to lose their leaves, no matter how much they shed them. The past year had been so busy. It felt like everything that had been repeating itself for 500 years had been turned on its head. Nightmare didn't mind of course, things were actually a lot better like this. The issue was, he had all he could've ever wanted. His brother and him were in great terms, he had a 'family', a loving boyfriend and hopefully fiancé, and the war was over, wasn't it?

    So what was he to strive for now? There was nothing else he had ever wanted. Ever since he was young, all he wanted was to be surrounded with people who truly loved him. And he is. So what else was there now? He and Cross, if he says yes, will get married, then what? What do people do after that?

    They passed by the white bench.

    "Hey Nightmare?" He shook his head, snapping out of his thoughts and looking up at Cross, who was now staring at him. "What do we do after this?" Nightmare hummed, not too sure what he meant. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd prefer this life over the one we all had two years ago with all of the fighting, but...doesn't it seem too peaceful?" He said nothing. "I don't know, maybe I'm just too accustomed to our old life to want to transition into a normal one, but I don't really want to settle down yet. I don't want to get a boring office job, live in a boring house and do boring things. I like the action, but it's died down now, hasn't it? It's died down too much..."