Chapter 26

A/N: Aaaaaaannnnnddd MFOTP is almost at 30k+ reads, and we'll probably hit that goal once this chapter is published.
That's amazing.

You all are so fa s t at reading this, I mean we just hit 20k like a month ago-
And I'm trying to decide if it would be wise to do another special thing for celebration or if I should put it off until 40k or 50k.
Either way, I don't wanna do an art contest again because that isn't really fair to the non-artist readers, so maybe I'll torture myself and post a super long chapter or something. Long, as in 3500+ words or so
Or maybe an Ask and Dare thing like most people do? I really don't know at all.
Gimme ideas please, I don't want to make something that people won't like.

They went back home the next day.

The ring on Cross' phalange felt so right to him. It didn't bring him fear or doubt. Whenever he looked at it, it made him daydream of the future. Their future. Oh, the things they'd do together. It seemed so perfect as if it was simply an illusion, yet it was perfectly in reach. He didn't know something so simple as engagement alone could feel like this. Maybe it was because this was what he wanted for the longest time.

Nightmare held his right hand the whole way back. They shot constant smiles at each other. They had never felt so happy. Cross couldn't imagine how fast his soul would pump at their wedding if it was pounding so hard right now. Imagining Nightmare in either a tux or a wedding dress, smiling as him with that earth-shattering grin as one approached the other. Saying "I do" and leaning in to kiss him. It seemed so magical.

Stars, he could barely wait.

"As I am literally attached to you, I get to be the first one to say congratulations." XChara's voice echoed in his head. Thanks, man. It means a lot, he thought back.

He filled him in when he returned, and at first, he seemed to be in a state of shock. It made sense, though. After all, he was attached to the person getting married. He then tried to assure him without getting Nightmare worked up that he didn't have to get married if he wasn't comfortable with it, but he shook his head, saying he was happy for him.

"Should we tell anyone?" He asked Nightmare. "Well, I kinda told Blue I was gonna propose to you before we left, so he already knows." He nodded.

Suddenly, they heard a distant "ooooooohhhhhhhh" that was getting louder the longer they walked. At first, they thought it was a bug or a bee, maybe, but it was at the point where it was definitely a voice.

Nightmare jolted, feeling a sudden pressure on his back, and the screaming was right in his ear duct. "OH, BROTHERR!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!" Dream's voice yelled, lifting him up and spinning him in the air. "aaaAAAAAAAHH DREAM! PUT ME DOOWNN!" Nightmare yelled. Dream obeyed, sheepishly rubbing the back of his skull and looking away, saying "Sorry, brother". He recovered quickly, shaking his head. "Anyhow, Blue told me everything, and I've been waiting for you two to come back ever since!"

Nightmare's sockets narrowed. "Does everyone know?" Dream shook his head. "To my knowledge, only Killer, Blue and I know! Blue told me because I'm your brother, and then I accidentally told Killsy, but we've all kept quiet about it so you guys can tell them!"

The ecstatic skeleton suddenly grabbed Cross' left hand. "Aw, you used the ring mom gave you!" He turned to the other, "But it was meant for the actual wedding, Nighty." The dark twin sighed. "Yes, I know. We're doing this the old way." Dream's grin tightened, but you could see his annoyance. "Cheapskate," he uttered. Nightmare waved his hands in front of himself in defence. "Hey, I'm not going to buy him an engagement ring because that ring would get thrown out as soon as we're married! There's no point in buying one!"