CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE. THE VAMPIRE INN

"SO, THIS IS THE WAY TO THE VAMPIRE INN?"

⟡⟡⟡⟡

DO NOT COMMENT FOR ME TO UPDATE!

Alec had managed to sneak the two of them back into the Institute. He discreetly opened the wall of weapons and pulled a bow, followed by arrows, from it. He looked at Wren for a brief moment before quickly scanning the remaining weapons. He picked up what Wren assumed to be a sword in its sheath.

The brunet pulled the sword from its sheath and held it up for Wren to see. It had a black hilt and the silver sword had a wavy appearance to it. "This is a flame-bladed sword. Also known as a Flamberge sword. These types of swords are known for being decorative as well as deadly. You won't be able to use it to kill a vampire unless you cut off its head. Try not to put yourself in a situation where you'll have to use it," Alec explained.

He handed her the sword and she took it, holding it awkwardly in her hand. It felt weird to be holding the weapon. Alec held out his hand and she gave it back to him. "If you do have to use it, slash, don't stab." He demonstrated what he meant. "If you stab, you might not be able to pull it out in time to try to inflict more damage because again, this won't kill a vampire, only our blades can. And since you're a mundane—"

"I get it, your fancy Shadowhunter swords won't work for me. Give me the sword," Wren said, holding out her hand. Alec looked her up and down before handing it back to her. She gripped the hilt tighter this time, assessing its weight, that's what they did in the movies. It didn't feel heavy or anything though she wasn't sure if that was a good thing. Various runes were engraved in the metal. "You good?" He questioned and she nodded.

"Good," he handed her the sheath, "let's go." She put the sword back into the sheath and followed after him as she tried to tie the sword around her waist. It was uncomfortably silent between them as they walked back the way that they came. When they reached the door, Alec stopped. "I need to rune the arrows before we go. Wait for me outside," he said.

The brunet walked away before she could respond. Wren rolled her eyes in annoyance before opening the door and stepping out into the crisp night air. She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. She looked down at the sheathed weapon attached to her hip. She really hoped she didn't have to use that thing.

After what felt like hours, Alec finally returned and began leading the way. "Come on, Izzy found a way to get us into the DuMort," he told her. She followed after the tall boy.

••••

"Izzy. I got your text. Where are we exactly?" Alec asked. The two had gotten to where Isabelle had told them to meet her. Wren climbed up the stairs, making sure her feet planted firmly onto each step so that she didn't trip. "It's an old meatpacker's service entrance. If we go back there, we come up into the basement of the Hotel Dumort. Perfect, right? We distract the vamps, Clary and Jace have time to find Simon," Isabelle explained.