8. Britain

Britain

Britain walked to class rather happy. He was always happy nowadays. Alex made sure that it was so. She never let him go on about his day unhappy,and always found a way to make him cheerful again.

Britain was sitting in class when he felt those eyes again. This time there were multiple pairs, but he knew the pair from yesterday. When he turned, he saw the same girl, and this time she had a clique around her. They all wore looks of disdain and condescension, all directed at him. He quickly turned his head to avoid the undeserved stares. He really wished Alex were here.

.......

Britain sat at lunch eating by himself, but this time he didn't pay much attention to the long stares and glances. Alex had be helping him with his self esteem and he started caring less about them.

Britain's eating was interrupted by a presence placing itself in front of him. It was the same girl from last night and class earlier, and this time her group of friends was still around her. She was a light color with long hair that may or may not have been hers, but it was one of her more noticeable features.

"Can I hel"-

"Hello", she chirped with a rather big smile. But this smile more unsettling, like there was an ulterior motive behind the twin rows of white teeth. The smile silently said, "I expect you to do what I say, and nothing less". Britain hated those smiles, because most people just expected him to take most things just lying down.

See what most people don't understand is that while most people with autism are extremely nice, most of their contemporaries took that as a sign to take advantage of them because they didn't understand some things. Britain had picked up on this but sometimes he couldn't tell if it were happening until it was too late.

Britain also took note of the group of people that was around this off-putting girl. One was obviously gay, her dreads and masculine clothing giving off the general vibe, but he quickly dismissed it. The other three, however, were just as off putting as the girl that spoke to him.

Their clothes were just as girly as the girl's, except they were either not as attractive or more blatantly stuck up. All of them wore flashy nails, leaving Britain to wonder how they did their homework or even take a shower.

"Why do you always hang around that girl, I think her name is Alexandra?"

"Because she's my friend, well, we're more than friends but-"

"Well, how about just staying away from her?"

Britain didn't know that one could be perturbed, angry, and irritated simultaneously until today. His eyebrows began to furrow as he began to analyze the deception that lingered behind her light colored eyes.

The other women around her began to hum subtle remarks of agreement, nodding and sending glances, first at each other before directing them toward Britain, looks of disdain and veiled contempt plastered on their faces.

"I mean, if you stayed away, we won't have to speak again, and we'll be just fine. Ok bye see you later", she said, that smile again creeping onto her face but making plain the fact that it was not genuine or kind.

Britain was further irritated by the fact that before they left, the one with the dreads knocked over his drink, but then uttered an, "I'm sorry, my bad", as if it were an accident.