three*

© 2014 Emma Norman. All Rights Reserved.

[chloe]

The entire day passed by a little too quickly for my liking and, for once, I actually didn't want school to end because I didn't want to have to face the reality of the inevitable. I was going to go to this appointment and they were going to confirm that I was pregnant, that I was going to be a mother, and I was going to have to decide what was the best thing to do.

The sound of the final bell was, as always on a Friday afternoon, followed by the scrapping of chairs and mass amount of cheering as everyone ran out of the classroom for the start of their weekend. Many of them would be spending their weekend drunk and with their friends, while I would be spending the weekend alone and with my thoughts.

I slowly picked up my books from the table and returned them to my bag, not even bothering to check the time as I did so. I wasn't ready for what was going to happen, nor was I ready to accept that this baby was going to be a part of my father, whether I liked it or not. And, as much as I didn't like it, this baby was a part of me and the guilt of even considering an abortion had grown greatly throughout the day; especially when I heard people speak of the emotional distress Louise Perkins had been in when she took the decision to abort her child just last week.

"Chloe Parker," I turned at the sound of my name and there he stood in all his glory, his infamous smirk covering his face and, had it not been for the fact that he was a complete jerk who had slept with the majority of Year Thirteen, then he would have been pretty damn attractive.

"What do you want?" I wasn't in the mood for anything which he had to say because there was no way in hell that it was going to be anything good.

Prior to the mistake of sleeping with Matthew, the only time he spoke to me was to insult me or to make me feel like shit, but those were the only occasions when he would speak with me. Which is what makes it so hard to believe that, not three years' ago, we had been best friends with each other and were inseparable.

"Someone informs me, that you—" he paused for a moment as he walked closer to me, the smirk quickly disappearing once we were stood toe-to-toe with each other, "—you are pregnant."

"And you believe everything you hear?" I chuckled slightly.

"I do when they also tell me that I am father of that baby," there wasn't the faintest bit of amusement in either his voice or his face. He was being serious and that scared me more than anything, and it was worrying when Matthew was serious because, recently, the only things he was serious about were sports and his family.

"Right? And who told you this nonsense?" I was hiding how terrified I was right now. I didn't want to tell him that he was the father of my child, that he had gotten me pregnant because we were both stupid enough to forget protection in our drunken states, because I knew that he would never believe me and that he would never accept the truth.

"Abigail Johnson. A friend of yours, I believe," Matthew's tone was cold, so there was no messing around right now. It was just he and I, and the words which laid between a simple lie to save my ass or the truth which would cause more tension than already existed between the pair of us.

"If that were true, would I not have told you myself?"

"I don't believe that you would have done, Chloe. I believe that you would have hidden it from me, fearing what my reaction might have been should you reveal that I am to be a father," I hated that he right and I hated that he wore that smug grin which said that he knew he was right. I didn't want to tell him that I was carrying his child, and it was for those exact reasons that I didn't want to tell him the truth.