eight*

© 2014 Emma Norman. All Rights Reserved.

[chloe]

"You off somewhere?" I was surprised that Jason was actually speaking to me because, since finding out that I was pregnant, he hadn't spoken a single word to me—unless you count when he was knocking on my door to tell me that I needed to eat, unbeknown to him that I had snuck out of my window and eaten elsewhere.

"To have unprotected sex and get pregnant. Oh. Wait. I've done that already," I turned away from him and pulled my jacket on, not wanting to deal with Jason and his foul mood, not when I already had to deal with Braydon being an asshole and insisting that I be ready for half seven instead because he had things which needed to be done this evening.

"Not in the mood for jokes. Mum and dad left me in charge," Jason snapped and this is when I missed the older brother I had become so reliant on, the one I could turn to when I had a problem, the one who was always there for me when I needed someone and the one who didn't feel the need to keep me on a leash like some untrained house pet.

"Where have they gone this time? Maybe I'll get lucky and they won't bother coming back," I didn't even know that they were going away this weekend, I didn't even know that they had gone anywhere, though I never have paid attention to my parents and what they do with their lives.

"New York. Dad received an urgent call and he had to be there personally so that he could sign for the deal he's been working for," Jason muttered. Our father, other than being one of the best doctors in this city, was also the majority owner of some law firm which he started himself with his best friend when they graduated together—he only became a doctor after Jason was born because he wanted to be able to do something which meant he could spend more time with his wife and son.

"Like I said, maybe I'll get lucky and they won't bother coming back," I checked that I had both my keys and my phone in my pocket because, even if Braydon was in an awful mood, I would sooner deal with him than I would my brother because at least Braydon had made his views of this pregnancy clear while Jason hadn't even managed to do that for me.

"I'm out of town for a couple of days at the end of this week too. That means you'll be home alone for that time," Jason added.

"You sure you trust me? I ended up pregnant the last time you left me alone, so you could come back this time and find the house on fire with me gone," I laughed at the thought. It would be the perfect way to escape this life and to find somewhere I could start again, but the problem was that I had no money, and I had nowhere to go either, so I was stuck here until I had finished school and could do something with my life.

"We both know that you'll still be here because you have nowhere else to go," Jason knew that he was right and, the one place I could go where I would be with family, I still needed money to be able to get there. My dad's sister lived somewhere up north, I could never remember exactly where it was that they lived, but it was far enough away from here that I would be able to get on with life and start again. "Now, where are you going?"

"Braydon is picking me up. He wants to talk," I shrugged.

"I don't know which of you is more stupid. Braydon for actually considering giving you a second chance after what you did, or you for even agreeing to see him when you know he's no good for you." I didn't know who this person was who was stood in front of me now, but I did know that he wasn't my brother, and I also knew that didn't have a heart at this moment. He was cold, angry, and full of hatred—that's not the person I know to be as my older brother.

"We're just talking," I sighed. I wasn't about to tell him that I didn't have a choice in the matter and Braydon decided that it was happening because it would only cause more arguments between Jason and I, and I also didn't want to explain myself to someone who had made it clear that I wasn't important to them anymore.