twenty-five

{UNEDITED}

        For four months now I had been Mrs Jenkinson and, in all honesty, it has been the best four months of my life. The day after the wedding Matthew surprised me with a trip to Blackpool for the weekend. It’s not a place people usually go to after their wedding, especially when it’s the beginning of .February, but it was romantic nonetheless.

        John and Vivienne paid for the hotel so we got the luxury of waking up the sight of the ocean every morning. In a strange way, the view reminded me of my relationship with Matthew. The waves were all the pain and the hurt we had endured, the lies which had be told and the mistrust on both sides right at the beginning.

        When the waves reached the beach though, they were significantly smaller and calmer. They were our problems now, basically non-existent. My parents had actually taken a hint and stayed out of my life, Jason had landed a job as manager of some construction sight and was, or so he told me, on the path to love at the same time and I had actually fallen in love with Matthew the way any wife should be in love with their husband.

        Our relationship wasn’t perfect. Hell, it was as far away from perfect as you could get and we still argued about meaningless things, but it worked and we were both happy with what we had.

        “Only a couple of days to go now,” Vivienne spoke up as she looked across to where Matthew and I were sat. It was safe to say that Amanda had turned me into an elephant and people kept asking me if I was having twins, something I would always take offence to and they would never believe when I told them it was just the one.

        “I can’t wait for her to make her appearance,” I muttered as I moved my hand to where Matthew’s was sitting on top of our daughter. The day of our wedding was the first time he actually felt her move and, the look on his face, I swear it was like a kid at Christmas who had seen that one of his presents were from Santa.

        The day had been long and the evening had been even longer. I had tired, and failed, more than once to actually disappear so that I could go to sleep.

        My feet were killing me and Amanda had decided that now was the time she wanted to play football with my insides. I had tired talking to her and asking her to stop but, every single time I asked her to stop, I am sure she kicked me ten times harder on purpose. She was definitely showing me who was the Queen of this castle.

        I had even tried to tell Matthew that she was kicking. Every time I wanted to tell him, someone always came over and stole him away from me before I had the chance to tell him.

        “What you doing over here Mrs Jenkinson? Shouldn’t you be with your husband?” Marcus mused, taking the empty seat beside me as I looked around at the guests who still remained. Most of them were drunk and were at the point of thinking they were the shit at dancing. Sheer embarrassment for them, pure amusement for the sober people like me.

        “He’s otherwise engaged,” I muttered, a hiss suddenly escaping as Amanda kicked once again.

        “Are you okay?” Marcus asked. I could see that he was concerned and, only being seventeen, he hadn’t had the misfortune of having to deal with a pregnant teenager himself.

        “Yeah. It’s just the baby,” I paused as I rubbed the point where I could feel her continuous movements, “she won’t stop bloody kicking me.”

        “Perhaps she’s just happy? She knows how happy her mummy is and now she’s feeding of your own happiness,” Marcus shrugged. I was surprised that he knew something like that and, apparently, even he seemed surprised that the words had come out of his mouth. “Sorry. My mother and sister are both pregnant. They keep filling my head with all this shit.”