twelve*

[chloe]

I stared at the door for as long as I possibly could do before I accepted that there was no way out of this situation which I had now created for myself. I had just told John, in the most unspectacular manner I could have done it, that I was carrying his grandchild and I knew that he would waste no time on telling Vivienne that when he got home from work—I also knew that he would inform Matthew that he knew the truth.

I didn't want to think about what Matthew was going to do when he realised that I had been unable to keep my mouth shut. He was going to be unimpressed with me and, because I knew Matthew as well as I did, I knew that he would also deny having anything to do with the child.

"He actually told you that he didn't want anything to do with the baby?" I could hear something in his voice which I didn't like the sound of, almost as though he didn't believe what it was that I was telling him, and I wasn't prepared to be called a liar just because John didn't want to accept what it was that I had told him about his son.

"Sure. Let's just go with that," I muttered. I pushed myself up on the bed and turned my back towards John, not wanting to look at him when I told him that his son told me that getting an abortion was the best thing for me. That his son had told me to kill our child without even taking the time to think about it.

"Is there something you aren't telling me, Chloe?"

The man knew me too well and, sometimes, it scared me just how well it was that he knew me. But then I remembered that he had been a part of the family since the day I was born, given that he was the man who helped my father deliver me, and he had been there for me when my parents had been too busy to be there for their daughter. He was almost like a second father to me and, when we were younger, Matthew was just like another brother to me, as well as being my best friend.

"No. It doesn't matter," I sighed.

"If it involves my son and his child, then it certainly does matter. Now tell me what it was that he really said," John demanded. I knew that he was annoyed and, honestly, it did scare me a little because I had rarely seen John close to losing his temper with someone. But, for all the things which Matthew had said and done to me, I didn't want to admit to John what it was that his son had actually said to me.

"He just told me that he wanted nothing to do with the baby. I agreed to keep my mouth shut, which I have clearly done such a great job with doing, and he promised that he would stay the hell away from me." I finally turned myself around so that I was looking at John and meeting with his eye line.

"Either you tell me, or I will phone Matthew and make him tell me what it was that he said." I had told him the truth and I knew that he wouldn't bother with Matthew until he had finished work, and that meant that I had the time to hide myself away so that I wouldn't have to face the inevitable argument which would be coming my way.

If I was going to be technical about this though, Matthew was the one who broke the agreement because he was the one who came to my house and he was the one who brought his girlfriend with him as well when he turned up on my doorstep. If he had kept to his side of the agreement and Jason hadn't overheard our conversations, then none of this would even be happening right now, and instead I would probably be arguing with Braydon over something or other.

"He didn't want to tell you that he was the father of my child. Do you really think that he's going to tell you the exact words he said when he found out the truth?" I could feel my temper getting the better of me and I didn't even know why I was feeling this way.

"I have a right to know. He's my son."

"You only have the right to know that I am carrying your grandchild. I don't have to tell you anything which happened between your asshole, selfish son and I if I don't want to." I stood up from the bed and threw my hands in the air. I knew that I needed to calm down and control my temper, especially when I was already a high blood pressure, but I was annoyed with his attitude towards me and his instance that I tell him everything which happened between Matthew and I.