seven*

© 2014 Emma Norman. All Rights Reserved.

[chloe]

Tomorrow is a new today. Tomorrow couldn't be any worse than today. I would be happier and everyone would keep their mouths shut.

If I told myself that enough times, there was the hope that it may actually become true, and I will be able to actually convince myself that tomorrow was going to be a better day than today. But, even if tomorrow was a better day, it wouldn't change the fact the next seven months were going to be some of the toughest of my life.

It was going to be especially hard when I had no one, other than my best friend, to support me through those months. I would love to have more than Jodie there for me, even if it was Jason, it would still be better than only having one person there for the duration of the pregnancy—though she had already made plans for me to move in with her and her mother when the baby was born, and Debra had agreed to this because she loved children, and because she wanted to help me in any way she possibly could.

And, when the bell rang for the end of the day, I thought that I would be able to escape this hell. Even if I was going straight into another one, I would have the time in between to compose myself and to prepare for the worst, but I would have been lucky if I had been able to escape without Matthew making another appearance and listening to more of his goading.

"Chloe. Just the person I was expecting to bump into," Matthew appeared in the door way to the classroom which I had wanted to vacate for the day, "I am just wondering whether you are going to tell your parents that I the father of that baby? Especially when we had sex at a party which you only held to get under their skin in the first place."

"Are you going to tell them that you told me to get an abortion because you aren't ready to play the role of daddy?" I knew that I had the most powerful card in this twisted game he was playing with me. I could easily tell his parents that he was the one had gotten me pregnant and that he was going to be a father, not that I would ever sink that low and do something that childish, but I had the ability to make his life as hellish as he was currently making mine.

"I meant what I said. If you are keeping that thing, then I want nothing to do with it," Matthew stated, and that was when I knew that it was never going to get better for me. Matthew was never going to accept that this baby was his and he was never going to support me, he was always going to be the immature boy who didn't know how to keep it in his pants.

"You really think I would allow you to have anything to do with them, even if you were interested in their life?" I turned so quickly that I heard the wind rush past my ear, but there was only so much of Matthew which I could put up with for one day, and I was pretty sure that I had had my allowance.

"What about when it asks who its father is?"

"I will tell them that their father was a cruel, heartless bastard who used girls for his own pleasure and he didn't give a damn about what happened to them when he was done with them. I will tell them that you wanted me to get an abortion and that you were never fit to be a father in the first place, just to make sure they don't come looking for you sixteen years down the line," I replied bitterly. I didn't want nor need Matthew in my life and I sure as hell didn't need him to be there for the baby when they were born, because I would make it work the best that I could and I would be the best damn mother I possibly can to my child.

"That is a little hypocritical of you, given that your first thought was to have an abortion," Matthew smirked.

"I will give you two choices, Matthew," I fought to keep my anger at bay and I forced myself to remain calm because I didn't want to do anything which would endanger the life of my child. I know that I had considered abortion, but I was being selfish and I wasn't thinking properly, I was just thinking about my own life and what I wanted to do with all my plans, but abortion wasn't an option; even less of an option now that I had heard the baby's heartbeat and I knew they were growing inside me.