twenty-two

{UNEDITED}

        The moment the words I love you left my lips, I knew they were the rights words to say. I knew that Matthew was the one I needed in my life and that I wasn’t ready to let him go.

        He was the father of my daughter. He had been there for me over the last month, he had become my rock. The one I depended on to keep me on the right track, to make sure nothing got me down during the day. He was the one who made me see sense of everything, made me see that this truly was the best thing which could have happened to the both of us.

        The wedding didn’t scare me anymore. In fact, I didn’t even care about that because I had told Matthew that I loved him. I didn’t need to pretend and put on a show for people when I walked down the aisle because everything you were supposed to feel on your wedding day, I would actually be feeling. All I needed to do was put all my emotions, everything I felt, into the day to make it the best that it could be.

        “I love you too Clo. Even though everyone you know hates me, it doesn’t stop me from loving you,” Matthew grinned and I don’t think I had seen him this happy since John told us we were going to be having a little girl.

        He began moving his head towards mine and, without being told what he was planning, I already knew that he was moving in for the kiss. It wasn’t quite at midnight, but I would take it and not even bother to complain. The moment our lips were close enough to almost be touching and for me to be able to feel his breath on my face, some nurse had to ruin the moment by walking in on the both of us.

        “Miss Parker. There, oh god, I am so sorry. I didn’t realise you had company,” she said awkwardly, doing everything she could to avert her gaze so that she was looking anywhere other than at Matthew and I. Her cheeks were now the colour of her hair, crimson red.

        “It’s fine. Don’t worry about it,” I chuckled. As she pulled my charts from the end of my bed to have a quick look, she still found herself looking anywhere other than at the actual bed. I could feel Matthew laughing silently to himself as he admired her awkwardness.

        “No. It’s not fine. I was about to give my girlfriend a New Year kiss and, now, you’ve gone and ruined the moment,” Matthew said. I looked up to see that he had a serious look on his face and, although the nurse couldn’t tell that he was winding her up, I knew perfectly well what he was doing.

        I playfully slapped him on the chest, giving him a knowing look, telling him that he would be in trouble if he continued winding her up. “He’s only messing around, right babe?”

        I still hated that word. If he wanted a term of endearment for me, then he was going to have to find something besides ‘babe’ because I really did hate it. I hated being called babe by anyone, regardless of whether they were my boyfriend, I just didn’t want to be called that by anyone. There were far better terms endearment which he could pick to refer to me as when he didn’t feel like using my actual name.

        “What’s the point in a New Year kiss if I can’t do it at midnight?” Matthew continued to wind the poor nurse up, to which I pushed him from the bed and he landed on the floor with a satisfying thump. I couldn’t help but laugh at him as he looked up from where he landed. He was trying his best not to laugh, but it was impossible and he soon gave in, the sound of our laughter filling the room.

        The nurse looked like she didn’t know what to say. She appeared to be in awe of the relationship Matthew and I had going on with each other, like she had never seen a couple act like we were beforehand.