nine*

[chloe] 

"Are you sure that you don't need me to come with you?" Jodie hadn't stopped asking me that question since I had told her that Matthew wasn't going to have anything to do with the baby, something which he had made abundantly clear and I wasn't going to fight him on it either, and I had also told her that I was going to be keeping the baby. She had been over my shoulder non-stop and didn't know when to leave me the hell alone.

I loved Jodie and I really did appreciate that she was there for me, but she was being overbearing and giving me too much love. I didn't need her to be my mother, not when I already had Debra breathing down my throat and being the mother to me which my mother wasn't being, but it didn't matter how many times I told Jodie that, she was still acting worse than Debra.

Her mother understood that, while I clearly needed a mother figure to be there for me and to actually support me, I also needed space and I needed to be able to make my own decisions. Jodie, on the other hand, was treating me like a child rather than as the pregnant teenager I actually was—I had told her how annoying it was but, Jodie being Jodie, she didn't want to actually listen to me and continued with everything she was doing before.

"Yes, Jods. I keep telling you that I already have someone who is coming with me," I smiled at her.

"I know you do. But you will have to forgive me if I don't believe you when you won't tell me who this person is," Jodie threw her hands in the air in exasperation.

Braydon had told me that I wasn't to tell anyone that we were attempting to work through things, and he had also made it clear that I was to tell people that he wasn't the father of the 'thing' which was growing inside me. He didn't want his family finding out that he was back with the girl who couldn't keep her hands off another male, and he didn't want his friends knowing that he was willing to make an attempt at fathering a bastard child which was the result of some one-night stand.

I couldn't stomach the thought of being alone and having to raise the baby without some male figure in its life, so I was willing to do as he demanded that I do, just to ensure that I didn't end up spending the rest of my life on my own. I knew that he was poison and I was absolutely positive that our relationship was nothing short of poisonous, but that didn't stop me from going back to Braydon, and it sure as hell didn't stop me from doing whatever it was that he wanted me to do.

It had been a month since Braydon had turned up at my house and told me how it was going to be, and that meant that it had also been a month since I had had any real contact with either my brother or my parents. They hadn't been there for me and I am almost certain that they didn't give a shit about me either, I could probably drop dead tomorrow and none of them would even notice that I was gone, that's how little attention they have been paying to me.

And, even if my parents had remembered that they had a daughter as well as son, they would have forgotten about me in the end anyway. They have been too busy arguing over whether they were going to get a divorce or whether they were going to attempt to make their marriage actually work to even acknowledge that they had children, but I wasn't bothered either way, not when they hated me and I hated them just as much.

"If it makes you feel any better, you can come to the next scan with me?" I chuckled.

"But I want to come to this one, Clo. This is the one—"

"I know. This is the one where they will tell me the size of the baby; whether I am having twins; check the heartbeat of the baby and then give me a due date," I didn't need her to tell me any of those things again. She had done more research on all of this than I had actually bothered to do since finding out that I was pregnant, but when I had Jodie around, I didn't need to bother doing my research. She keeps telling me everything which I need to know, and so much more than I actually need to know.