ten*

[chloe]

The eventual trip to the hospital was filled with a somewhat calming silence. Neither Braydon nor myself had spoken a word to each other since he knocked on the front door, demanding that I get into the car so that we can get this over and done with. Jason had been in the living room when Braydon finally turned up and, obviously, he didn't approve of the way in which he spoke to me, but I didn't let him say anything because I actually wanted us to work something out with each other.

I assumed, probably stupidly, that the reason for Braydon's silence was that he didn't know what to say to me. I would like to believe that, given that he has told me that he wants to give this relationship another attempt, that he is going to do his utmost to take everything in rather than being speechless when it comes to the moment—but I am sure that I have got this all wrong and there is probably going to be nothing other than an awkward silence between the two of us.

"Clo?" Braydon's voice finally dragged me out of my thoughts and brought me back to the reality of what was about to happen. "Have you actually listened to a single word I said?"

"Sorry." I instantly felt bad for not listening to him and for having absolutely no idea what it was that he was talking about, but I was trapped in my own world where everything worked out for the best and where I was actually happy with the life which I had. I didn't fuck up by sleeping with the renowned player and I was still happy with my boyfriend, but that was just in my head and this was the life which I now had instead.

"You never fucking listen," Braydon muttered angrily and I watched as his hands tightened around the steering wheel.

"What were you saying?"

"It doesn't matter. It was nothing. Let's just get this over with so that I can go back to pretending that you didn't fuck the one person I hate behind my back." I knew that Braydon was never going to find this easy and that he was never going to forgive me for what I had done, but he was the one who initiated things between us once again and he was the one who told me that he would come with me for this scan. I had accepted that it was over between the two of us and I had accepted that I was going to be a single mother, but he was the one who missed me and he was the one who wanted me back because he loved me too much to ever really let me go; no matter what I had done to him and what had happened.

"Don't be like that, Bray. I am sorry that I wasn't listening, but my mind has been a little over the place at the moment," I sighed, almost in defeat as I knew that I was going to be the one who messed things up between us for the second time, and I was just going to be a single teenage mother who only had the support of her best friend to get her through it all.

"Your mind has been a little over the place? I am the one who was cheated on and I am the one who is being big enough to give you another chance, but you are the one whose mind is all over the place?" Braydon chuckled coldly and this was the side of Braydon which terrified me slightly because I never knew what he would do or say, and sometime he could be extremely hurtful with both his words and his actions, and he wouldn't even give a damn about how he made me feel when it came down to it. "I find myself wondering what it was that I even saw in you at times, Clo. I also find myself thinking that I need my head tested for giving you another chance after what you did to me."

"I made a mistake. I had been drinking—"

"You were drunk the first time we slept together. Did you make a mistake by doing that too?"

"Bray—"

"I suppose at least I didn't get you pregnant, because then it would have been a mistake," Braydon's words hurt and, from the blank expression now covering his face, I knew that he didn't give a shit about what he had just said nor how he had made me feel either.