𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

my mother was a mere servant who worked closely with the king and queen as well as their five daughters. she was a nice woman and would comply to anything the royal family had asked for.

my father was a soldier for the royal army there- him and my mother met before they entered the palace, whilst i was born there. i lived and spent my whole childhood inside that place. my father died when i was just a baby so i have no memory of him at all.

the royal family forbids servants for having children, but my mother was the king's favorite and most trusted servant that he made her and me an exception.

years pass and i was only a toddler, my mother and the king had become very close- at that time i was happy that maybe... i was finally going to get a father, but like a child i didn't know the consequences and the things that would happen.

the queen was infuriated after finding out. she demoted my mother of her position and placed her down the cellars, the barracks and the lowly parts where she and the king would have no interaction at all.

i didn't know what was happening but my mother told me that everything would be alright. she spent her time doing her tasks and taking care of me- it became a routine for us.

whenever i saw my mom getting hit by those guards and the queen, she just told me that they were playing and to close my eyes and cover my ears.

whore...

bitch....

when i turned seven, things didn't get better.. they got way worse to be honest. those people tried to hurt me as well but my mom- my mom would beg them, taking the hit and blocking me whenever they strike using their fists or a makeshift weapon.

one night, when my mom already tucked me to sleep. i heard her talking to someone, i listen to their conversation without them knowing and..

"im pregnant"

"what?" a voice of a man whispers, anybody from the kingdom would know it belong to their king.

"what do we do?" his mother asked, her voice trained as she was afraid to hear what the king was going to say.

the man held both her hands caressing its top with his thumbs "don't worry, everything is going to be fine. i'll do everything on my power to take care of our child and your son wooyoung"

i genuinely thought that the king was a nice man, he was loved by his whole kingdom for his kindness and generosity. he and my mother would have been the perfect couple.