FOUR

Sheathing her nichirin sword, the last of the wisteria blossoms fell to the earth, surrounding the demon

"As I said," she started, staring down at the pathetic creature. "You won't be killing any fox today. Nor ever again."

As its body began to disintegrate, its eyes dashed around the area--almost as if it were trying to find some escape from its inevitable fate. Without needing to look, Naminé could feel Tanjiro's presence beside her, though when she did turn to look at her companion, she was surprised to find the expression on his face.

One of sympathy.

Tanjiro's calloused hands rose up to grip the outstretched hand of the demon, raising it so that its fingers rested against his forehead.

It seemed like he was praying.

Why? she wondered, a strange mixture of emotions welling up at the sight of his compassion towards a beast that was only just hellbent on killing them, a little betrayed by the sight. Why would he do such a thing?

The ashes of the demon finally reached his fingers, his gaze somber as he stared where the creature once lay.

"Thank you, Naminé," Tanjiro praised out of nowhere, his eyes holding the same kindness as when she first saw them. "You helped me avenge all those that died at his hands."

"I'm sure that their spirits are finally at rest," she consoled, choosing not to bring up his strange action just now. "You're a very skilled swordsman, Tanjiro. I'm glad to have you beside me."

"I could say the same," he said while sheathing his blade. "You raced right up to that demon and it gave me the courage to follow. I can be brave next to you."

Naminé felt her cheeks grow hot at the compliment, her embarrassment causing her fingers to rise and fiddle with her locket.

"Then let's keep being brave for one another."

And they did.

Throughout the remaining days, they fought off ravenous demons at every turn, always persevering with a strong, quiet connection that began to feel effortless even by the end of the first day--one that she might even stand to say she'd grown accustomed to by the third. Though she knew that her increasing familiarity with Tanjiro would only result in disappointment once the test was completed and they drifted off on their own journeys. So she tried not to get too attached to his kind heart.

Though Tanjiro certainly didn't make that easy.

They each took shifts sleeping during the long hours of night, finding shelter wherever they could on the eastern side of the mountain. One night, Naminé couldn't recall when exactly she had fallen asleep, the lull of dreams seeming to come easier knowing that Tanjiro was there to watch over her, but the chill of the mountain air seemed to vanish when she found his cloudy haori draped over her frame.