TWENTY NINE

"Boy, let's have a talk

"Boy, let's have a talk."

Feet kicked out from under her, Naminé cried out as she was pulled across the earth by Rui's unrelenting grip on her hair.

"You see, I was moved by watching the 'bonds' you share with these two. My body quivered. I think there are definitely no words to describe what I'm feeling."

Naminé's fingers tightened around the hilt of her blade, fighting through the pain as best as she could while taking in a focused breath. The blood of her arm slid down the steel now.

"But I have to kill you guys. It'll be sad if things turn out this way. But, there is only one way to avoid this."

Breath of Wisteria: Ninth Form . . .

"Give me your little sister." Steeling her grip, Rui seemed too preoccupied with convincing Tanjiro to notice her blade swing back. "If you hand her over quietly, I'll spare your life alone."

From somewhere beyond the treeline, she heard Tanjiro mutter, "I don't get what you're saying."

"I'll make your little sister my own, starting today."

Just as her blade came around to finish her technique, a simple kick from Rui knocked it out of her hand and into the air, Naminé watching as her only chance of escape was tangled in a string of webs beneath the moon.

The thread of her arm tightened, causing her to release a pained scream.

At the sound, Tanjiro leaped out from behind the tree, broken blade pointed directly towards Rui's neck.

"Don't expect that to happen. Nezuko isn't an object!! She has her own emotions too! She won't be your little sister and neither will Naminé!"

"It's okay. You're connected by unaided 'bonds.' So my bonds of fear are stronger than yours. I'll teach you what'll happen if you oppose me."

"DON'T GET TOO CARRIED AWAY WITH YOUR JOKES!" Tanjiro screamed out, face contorted in rage as he listened to the demon's words and witnessed the mistreatment it was putting Naminé through. "Poisoning your family with fear is not a bond in my book! If you don't correct those basic misunderstandings, you'll never get your hands on what you want!"

"How irritating." Rui lifted her off the ground once more, yanking her head back far enough that she had to stare directly at the moon. The vein in her neck pulsated so strongly as she tried taking in her current situation, eyes scanning to see if there was any sort of weakness to the demon next to her. There wasn't. "Could you not raise your voice so loud? It doesn't suit you."

"I won't hand Nezuko over to you! And you will release Naminé!"

She practically hissed when Rui's face drew close to her neck. "Stay away from me!"