TWENTY SEVEN

"FATHER!!"

"FATHER!!"

Just a mere breath away from slamming its fist into Naminé's skull, the demon's limbs stilled as it turned in the direction of the distant voice. Out of a mixture of adrenaline and fear, Naminé awaited the beast to spill out her insides within the river, desperately trying to find some way out of this. It was shameful of her to accept something like death a moment ago when she would have lashed out at her comrades for doing such a thing.

Out of nowhere, the creature bent its knees to launch itself into the air, the wind knocking her head back against its talons.

She had her friends to return to. She wasn't done listening to Inosuke and Zenitsu's bickering. She wasn't done cuddling on the futon or playing with Nezuko's hair. She wasn't anywhere near her goal of finding out more of the mystery surrounding her mother's murder or helping Nezuko regain her humanity. But here, nearly crushed in the fist of a demon that she was thankful her friends didn't have to face, she was done with one thing.

She was done denying how she felt for the kind slayer with the most beautiful burgundy eyes she's ever seen--and regretted ever denying it at all.

I have to survive.

The river was quickly approaching as they descended towards the rushing current.

I have to keep our promises to one another.

The Father demon landed violently in the river, an up-current of water exploding out as a roar belted out of its maw. Before she could even take another breath, the beast's fist rose in the air.

"GET AWAY FROM MY FAMILY!!"

"Naminé!!"

Eyes jutting open, Naminé barely had time to turn her head before the demon slammed its fist into the earth, shattering the ground and forcing back both Inosuke and Tanjiro, Tanjiro's enraged expression burning itself into her mind upon seeing her tangled in its fist.

"Stay back--!"

But the rest of her sentence vanished as she was forcefully dunked beneath the river's surface, the demon pressing her body against the ground, bending her bones unnaturally once more.

A muffled scream came from her throat, air bubbles floating up to the surface as she did the best she could to stab at the beast's hand and forearm, but the blade was barely able to graze its impervious skin.

Through the water's surface, she could see the wavy forms of her two friends fighting against the creature, slicing at the arm that was keeping her from swimming to the surface. She could already feel the pressure building in her lungs and head from lack of oxygen. And it didn't seem that they were making any progress in slicing through the skin any more than she had.