TWENTY FIVE

"We'll be going now!" Tanjiro called out to the host as the group maneuvered out onto the dirt road

"We'll be going now!" Tanjiro called out to the host as the group maneuvered out onto the dirt road. "Thank you so much for everything."

The group was finally well-rested after a few days of staying at the wisteria estate with all their injuries healed. It felt a little bittersweet to leave something so nostalgic for Naminé, but she was rather thankful to be out of what quickly became cramped walls towards a new mission.

The last few days of their stay, she had done her best to avoid being alone with Tanjiro--a fact that the slayer seemed all too aware of. Whenever it seemed he was about to ask her to join him in another part of the estate or wanted to speak to her privately, she quickly came up with some excuse to evade it all.

And from what she could see behind his gaze whenever their eyes met, the slayer hadn't enjoyed it one bit.

The small host gave a wrinkled smile as she lifted up a sparkling rock. "Now for good luck."

"That would be very appreciated, thank you," Naminé acknowledged, all of the slayers except Inosuke turning their backs as the woman clapped the two together, creating a small spark with each hit.

Inosuke shrieked, lifting a raised fist to smash the rocks out of the elder's hands. "What do you think you're doing, old hag?!!"

"Inosuke!!" Naminé reprimanded just as Tanjiro grabbed the flailing slayer and Zenitsu jumped in front of the elder. "I take back the nice things I said about you!"

"What are you, a moron?!" Zenitsu screamed. "She's striking sparks for good luck! It's a purification ceremony because we're going on a dangerous mission!"

When it seemed like Tanjiro and Zenitsu had the situation under control, Naminé went over to bow in respect to the host. "I apologize for my friend's rudeness. You've been very generous to open your doors to us."

Small, coarse fingers scraped against her cheek as Naminé opened her eyes to find the woman giving a gentle smile. "Anything for a fellow sanctuary keeper. Thank you for everything you do. I pray you all stay safe in the journey ahead."

"Thank you."

Turning away, the woman continued her goodbyes to the others as Naminé passed by, not expecting the sudden clasp on her wrist.

"Naminé," Tanjiro said, his voice low--almost pleading--as he attempting to meet her gaze, which she wouldn't satisfy. "I don't know what I did to make you upset with me. Whatever I did, I promise I won't hurt you in this way again that you can't stand to be around me. So . . ." The fingers around her wrist squeezed slightly, his brows furrowing together.

"Please look at me."

Tanjiro couldn't stand it. At first, he thought he might just be assuming things when he noticed her leave any room shortly after he entered. But his curiosity quickly turned to worry when she refrained from communicating with him only when necessary. Even in the moments where he attempted to get them alone so that he could confront her about it, something always came up that she couldn't right then.