SIXTEEN

"SOUTH! SOUTH-EAST! SOUTH! SOUTH-EAST!"

"THE NEXT LOCATION IS SOUTH! SOUTH-EAST!"

"Can you please be quiet, Koharu?! Tanjiro, your crow is being a bad influence on mine!"

"I don't know how to make him stop, though!" Tanjiro defended, covering his ears from their shouts. "I get it! I get it, already! Can you please be quiet . . ."

The slayers had been traveling outside of Asakusa for some time now, winding down dirt roads before their crows appeared and started spouting their next assignment.

But something they never expected to stumble upon was a pathetic scene they found while heading south-east. No demon was near. Just a sobbing blonde clinging to the kimono of a distressed village girl.

"PLEASE!" The boy's voice echoed across the fields, Naminé surprised when she spied a demon slayer uniform beneath his yellow haori. "I BEG YOU! I BEG YOU! PLEASE MARRY ME!!"

"What . . . is happening?" she muttered to Tanjiro.

"I DON'T KNOW WHEN I'LL DIE!! SO PLEASE MARRY ME! I BEG YOU--!!"

Cheek puffing out in agitation, Naminé took a step forward at the same time that Tanjiro did, a small sparrow tweeting rapidly at the slayer next to her, obviously bothered. "I see! I understand!"

With a quick grasp, Tanjiro gripped the haori of the weeping demon slayer while Naminé tended to the girl, casting strange looks over to the sniffling boy.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD?!" Tanjiro reprimanded. "Can't you see that this lady doesn't want this? And you're bothering your sparrow as well!!"

"Are you alright?" Naminé asked the village girl, helping smooth out her clothing. "What's going on between you two?"

"I found this person on the side of the road and only checked on him to make sure he was okay. But the second I did, he started crying all over me and asking me to marry him!"

"Ah! Your uniform!" The crying slayer realized, noticing what Tanjiro was wearing. "You're from the Final Selection!"

Another vein appeared on Tanjiro's temple. "I definitely don't know a guy like you!!"

"Eh?! But we've met though! We really have met before!! You're the one with the problem with your memory!"

"It doesn't matter if you've met him before! You're avoiding what it is he's yelling at you for! You can't just cling onto random women and ask them to marry you! Shame on you!" Naminé yelled, gaining the slayer's attention.

Something she instantly did not want to have.

Even as the village girl began slapping him over and over, his sparkling eyes remained solely on Naminé until the girl began stomping back towards the village, a shiver quaking her entire spine.