THIRTY THREE

"Wake up

"Wake up."

Every breath felt like searing knives against her lungs.

"Wake up, Nami."

It was noticeably less severe pain than before, but perhaps her limbs were becoming numb to it at this point.

"If you do not at the very least open your eyes, I will pour my cold tea onto you."

I know that voice.

With the effort it took to flutter her eyes open, Naminé felt as if she could have fallen back asleep for another lifetime. But she kept them exposed, patiently waiting as they adjusted to the sunlight streaming in through the windowpanes, eyes falling over the details of the person at her side slowly revealing themselves.

". . Master . . ?"

The strain that one word put on her vocal cords was enough to make her want to scream. Everything from her tongue and down her throat felt dry and cracked. Tears blurred her vision as she tried glancing around--not recognizing the space. Honestly, was she even truly awake? It seemed like she had been falling in and out of dreams for so long . . .

". . I think . . . I'm dying . ."

A chuckle came from Himawari as she poured some steaming liquid into a cup.

"Well, according to the encyclopedia of 'Ignoring my Master's Wise Instructions like a Common Fool', you are correct." Even with her venomous words, Naminé felt the cooling touch of her sensei's fingers graze her forehead, glancing over to see tears prickling Himawari's eyes, a soft smile on her wrinkled face.

"Rest assured, you will not die, Naminé."

Naminé hoped that her smile reached her eyes.

Yanking back her hand, Himawari grabbed the cup, shoving it out towards her. "Try grabbing this."

Moving to do so, she found that her muscles remained stagnant, sending tinglings of frenzy rushing through her body. "I-I can't move."

"Don't fret. I thought as much. You likely will remain immobile for some time. Until then, we will heal your body with this." Gesturing to the cup, Naminé stared at the sloshing, green liquid inside. "This is a concoction that both Shinobu and I made. It will encourage the healing process to move along quickly. We've been feeding it you while you've slept."

Realizing that this was the first time she'd been fully conscious since . . . everything . . she tried shifting her head to look at Himawari. It didn't work.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"You were brought here two weeks ago."

"Two weeks--?!" A string of coughs flew out of her throat, each one bringing up more tears. The fit lasted for a few minutes, her throat feeling abundantly worse than before.