TWENTY SIX

This is not going how I hoped

Pausing in a section of the mountain that felt generally deserted, Naminé halted her search to take a moment to breathe, her calves beginning to burn from running at such a swift speed.

Aside from that lone cry earlier, there had been no other sign of where to turn in search of Zenitsu. And she couldn't risk yelling out for him too often for fear of catching a nasty demon's attention while she was most vulnerable alone. It was beginning to seem like she wouldn't find her friend at all.

A clap of thunder broke across the sky, nearly making her jump. Had there been a storm approaching earlier?

With her senses peaked, the sound of rushing water followed afterward somewhere towards the east. Realizing just how parched her throat was, she decided now would likely be the only chance she would get to drink before throwing herself into another battle.

As she made her way towards the sound, she couldn't help but think about how long she had been searching now. It felt much more prolonged than she intended--but that could have just been because she was isolated.

Even with the horrors they'd seen so far, something told her that it wasn't the worst of what dwelled on this mountain.

The faster she could find Zenitsu, the quicker she could return to Tanjiro and assure they all stayed safe.

Coming upon a river, Naminé cupped the rushing water in her hands and drank until satisfied. Just as she was about to rise up, she noticed a glare in the water's reflection. A familiar string glimmering in the moonlight. Following its line, her breathing stilled when she saw a pale figure standing perfectly still atop it, a pair of strange, red eyes glowering down.

Reaching for her blade, a young voice called from above just as her fingers reached the hilt. "For a moment, I almost mistook you for my sister . . ."

Twisting around, the tip of her blade was pointed towards the demon--a young boy with dotted, red markings across his face and skin, his features devoid of emotion as he stared at her blade. It almost seemed as if he were bored.

"But I suppose anyone is better than that pathetic girl."

"Why would a demon have something like a sister?" There was something about this demon that seemed to weigh down the very air, making it harder to breathe. "And more so, is that how you would speak about one you'd consider family? It's disgraceful."

The corners of his mouth dipped down further. "I wish I could stay to watch you be killed, but I have more important matters to attend to. Had you not such a foul mouth on you, I might have spared you and made you a part of our family."

A grin twisted his entire face, the shadows around somehow darkening as his eyes glowed menacingly.

"Now you can watch your limbs be twisted off inbetween Father's fangs."