EIGHTEEN

"NaaaAAAaaminé

"NaaaAAAaaminé . . . TaaaaanjirooOOo . . ."

The slayers had not even been in the house for one minute before Zenitsu began crying again, his hands latching onto both of their haoris.

"You both will protect me, right? You'll definitely protect me, right?!"

How did this guy ever pass the Final Selection?

"Zenitsu," Tanjiro started as they continued through the halls. "There's something I need to tell you."

Both Naminé and Tanjiro turned to look at the sniffling slayer. "Actually, my ribs and leg both have fractures that haven't healed yet due to my last battle."

"And my calf is still slowing me down quite a bit. My breathing isn't as good as usual from my neck injury either. It burns my lungs to use my techniques too quickly."

"EHHHH---!!?!" Zenitsu screamed loud enough to alert demons on the other side of the world where they were. "WHY DO YOU HAVE BONE FRACTURES?! WHY ARE THERE BRUISES ON YOUR NECK?! IF YOU'RE BOTH HURT, WHO IS GOING TO PROTECT ME? I'M GOING TO DIEEEE!"

"Quiet, Zenitsu!" Naminé hissed, glancing all around. "Do you want to have demons rush over here?"

"DEMONS?! WHERE?" This threw him over the edge, his tears flowing more than ever. "WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I DO? I'M GOING TO DIIIIIEEE! I'M NINETY-NINE PERCENT ALREADY DEAD!"

"Zenitsu, you're fine! Quiet down--" Tanjiro stopped comforting the slayer when they each heard rushed footsteps coming their way. Hand on the hilts of their blades, Naminé's heart pounded as the steps were just about to reach the corner of the corridor.

What the--?

Both siblings came running towards them, panic on their faces as they reached the slayers. Tanjiro was noticeable distraught, his eyes flying past them to see if his own sibling was joining them.

"You guys can't come in here!" He said even as the children clung to both friendly slayers.

"I-It's because your box was rattling around!"

"Even so, you guys can't just leave it there! That box is something more important to me than my own life!"

"Shh, it's okay," Naminé cooed to the little girl, slicking her hair behind her ears as she clung to Tanjiro. "Everything will be okay. Zenitsu, can you guide them back outside?"

"WITHOUT A DOUBT! I'M DEAD, BUT I CAN DO THAT!"

In his excitement for leaving behind the danger of this mansion, Zenitsu accidently bumped both Naminé and Tanjiro, sending each stumbling into rooms on either side of the hall. Landing on her butt, she only had time to stand, hearing Zenitsu's apologies while Tanjiro stood up with the young girl in the room he fell into.