TEN

"Tanjiro, are you

"Tanjiro, are you . . . maybe a little . . nervous?"

After two days, they finally arrived at Asakusa as soon as night fell, the lights and vastness of the vibrant city something that neither slayer had ever come across before. While Naminé found its spectacles alluring, Tanjiro was barely holding himself together, face covered in nervous sweats as he, Naminé, and Nezuko tried to navigate through the city.

"What kind of town is this, Naminé?! It's night, but it's bright out! The buildings are so tall! What the--?!"

A chuckle fell from her lips, quietly muttering to herself. "You country bumpkin . . . "

"Um, uh, let's go this way."

Tanjiro directed them through the crowded streets, finally managing to come across a clear pathway that took them through a dimly lit park, his nose leading the three to an udon stand stationed near a couple of benches. While he sat with Nezuko and tried to compose himself, Naminé ordered a bowl of udon for the two of them.

Handing the bowl to Tanjiro, she took a seat beside him, digging into the noodles.

"What sort of demon do you think we might come across here? I don't think it will be as easy to gather information as the last town."

"I'm not sure. I've never been to a place like this. There are too many people . . ."

The slayer's burgundy eyes shot open, his nostrils flaring as he quickly stood, something close to horror on his face as he stared blankly ahead. Instantly, she was to her feet, grabbing the sleeve of his checkered haori.

"Tanjiro? Tanjiro, what's wr--"

But the slayer sprinted back in the direction they came, not once looking back as he charged ahead.

"Tanjiro!" Naminé yelled, beginning to rush after him before realizing that Nezuko would be left alone. "Nezuko, don't move! Stay right where you are! I'll come back with your big brother!"

Sprinting after Tanjiro, she began to grow anxious about how she would find him when he was already long out of sight, but as she sprang out into the busy streets, a clear path forced between the crowds seemed to be his trail. Barging through the citizens, she muttered apologies, but didn't really care how much she inconvenienced them. Not while Tanjiro was acting so unusual.

A heaviness in the atmosphere gripped around her lungs, making it more difficult to breathe as she worried for her friend's safety, though she finally saw Tanjiro's bright haori ahead, easing a bit of the pain in her chest.

"Tanjiro!"

But relief was short-lived once she saw what he was standing before.