89. Some More Answers

1020 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡
~Yay 26k Views~
★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡

Written December 16 2019
Posted February 2 2020

Extra chappy because I wrote 3 for new book this weekend •~•...

Still not enough to warrant spamming this yet though

Indigo closed as Kaito's head lowered, fingers clutching the sheets "It's not that I didn't trust you" He'd always somewhat knew that if it really came down to it, that the other would hear him out first if given the chance "It's just" His grip tightened "I've already lost one dad to the Crows" His voice wavered "I couldn't handle the thought of losing you too" Kaito's voice was soft, little more than a whisper.

'Keibu was always there for me whenever I needed a father... I don't think that I'd have been able to get over it if he was taken away too...'

Ginzo released a tired breath, remembering how the magician had been after Toichi's death "I'm smart enough to know how to not get myself killed" He scoffed, ruffling Kaito's hair. His tone softened "I know that I can sometimes be rash, but I would have been careful" He wouldn't have wanted to leave Aoko without a parent, nor hurt Kaito.

The magician shook his head "It would have been too risky" Even without knowing, the inspector had toed the line of danger way too many times in the past. He tasted blood in his mouth but ignored it in favour of meeting the inspector's gaze "I didn't want to take any chances" He didn't want to go through that again, never.

'We're so lucky that his rants and obvious zeal in going after my other persona had prevented him from being suspected of helping me...'

The inspector swallowed, Kaito was serious. His traitorous mind flashed back to the few times that Kid had actually taken a bullet for him, or at the very least had gotten injured "Children shouldn't be the ones to protect the adults" He sighed, giving Kaito another hug "I'm supposed to be the one protecting you, idiot" His tone was fond. For such a smart guy, Kaito was equally an idiot. Though that trait was endearing in its own way.

*

Shinichi stumbled when he reached the entry room, thankfully he'd been able to grab hold of the door frame to catch himself "Ran?!" He spluttered, who had told her about this location? Wasn't this place supposed to be mostly secret?

'Why is she here? Isn't she supposed to be mad at me?'

Ran's blue gaze narrowed when she spotted the sleuth, he didn't look like he'd been hurt like Heiji had implied "Shinichi" The anger in her voice sent a shiver down his spine. Oh god he was screwed, maybe he could outrun her if he got a head start? The sleuth was frozen in place as the karate champion stalked over towards him, his death would be easier if he just accepted his fate. Ran paused in front of him an unreadable look in her eyes "Are you hurt?" He quickly shook his head, afraid to speak. She usually got angry since he can never seem to say the right thing "Good"

The impact of the slap was over before he could even register that she had swung, he fell back onto the floor. Shinichi couldn't help the wince as he rubbed his cheek, Ran hadn't hit him nearly as hard as she could have, or as hard as he'd been expecting "Oww"

'Why hasn't she killed me yet?'

Her gaze narrowed "Do you know how worried I was when Hattori told me that you'd been hurt?" Shinichi gaped "Just because I was mad at you, doesn't mean that I don't care about you!" Tears prickled at the corners of her eyes, she'd been so scared when Hattori had let it slip that Shinichi was going after Crows again. She crouched down next to him, pulling him into a hug.

The sleuth went still for a moment before returning the hug, azure softened in understanding "I'm sorry, I thought that you didn't want to speak to me"

Ran sniffed "I didn't, but that doesn't matter if you're going to do something stupid or dangerous" She gave a small smile "You're still family even if both me and my dad are angry at you" Since Conan, her feelings for the sleuth had changed to familial. She saw Shinichi more as a little brother than as a potential lover.

'She doesn't hate me...'

"Thank you" He breathed as they both got up off the ground, he then remembered their location "How did you even get here?" Not that he was complaining, but Ran shouldn't have been able to find him here.

"Jodie-sensei told me" She replied "Since Crows were involved, I figured that she would know" The FBI agent had easily told Ran the location, knowing that the girl wasn't a threat.

'Aren't FBI agents supposed to keep things like that secret?'

Shinichi sighed at the answer, he'd had a vague feeling that the answer would be that. He gave her a curious look "You're not going to leave here without answers are you?" Ran was both persistent and stubborn. She gave him a look, he sighed "Well..."

*

Chikage's gaze narrowed as she entered the house, it seemed lived in, but not by Kaito. Many things were arranged differently than how Kaito would have done it, there was also the sets of shoes that were obviously not Kaito's. She turned towards Jii "Where's Kaito?" She hadn't been able to contact neither him nor the Nakamoris since she'd woken up.

'Kaito hasn't been living here... There's also been no messages from him on the special phone'

"Hopefully the young master is just out doing something secret" Jii breathed, he now wished that he'd stayed in contact with Kaito, but he'd been worried that he'd inform the young magician about the accident. Chikage had been in a car accident but he'd wanted to wait until after Kaito had done the heist to inform him of it. But then he hadn't been able to get a hold of him.

She nodded, sharing his hopes as she glanced at her crutches. She couldn't go out looking for him like she normally would like this "Something must have happened..." The Kid in the news that had been shot hadn't been her son.

'Why couldn't I have woken up from the coma sooner? That odd heist wasn't too long ago'

Me: Now you know why Kaito's mom hadn't shown up, things were too hectic for Kaito after the heist. He hadn't thought to check in with Jii, then things kept happening.

Hope you enjoyed~

Kaito explained more after the cut, but I can't just keep repeating the very same facts over and over again to you guys XD