Shooting Hoops

Basketball was always a thing for you. You have distant memories of you and your father sitting on the couch watching whatever basketball game was airing. You also remember not ever rooting for a specific team. You just liked watching it to see them play. Watching the ball get thrown from player to player took thought and strategy, and you wanted to know what the exact thought process was. That's when your mother signed you up for a basketball camp over the summer. There, you learned the passion you had for the game. It seemed foolish to most people, but in your head, tossing an orange ball and shooting it into a hoop was something that intrigued you. However, you never shared this intrigue with anyone.

That is, until you found out that Dr. Spencer Reid coaches a basketball team.

You never expected Spencer to be the type of guy to shoot a good layup or score a three-pointer. But apparently, he was that kind of guy! To him, the entire game must be mathematically simple to crack. His team's undefeated standards could prove that. But one thing that Reid's team is missing is spirit. They just go whatever Spence tells them to, which isn't bad, but the team doesn't enjoy the game.

That's where your enthusiasm and spirit applied to Reid's plan for his basketball practice.

His team sat in their light blue jerseys, black numbers on the front and back. This particular team was an all-girls team, which you assume is the reason why Spencer asked you to help him with basketball practice and not Derek Morgan. You could connect with the girls since you were in their shoes at one point.

"Now, ladies, I'd like to introduce you to a good friend of mine. Her name is (Y/N), and she will be helping you with practice today."

You wave at the young girls, who immediately start asking you questions.

"Are you part of the FBI like Coach Reid?" a little girl with pig tails asks.

"Yes, I am!" you say, pulling out your badge for the young girls to see. They all gasp upon seeing said badge.

"How many bad guys have you taken down?" a little voice from the crowd asks.

"I've actually never counted," you say, looking at Spencer. "We should count one day."

Another little girl raises her hand. "Is Coach Reid good at his job? Because he's very good at basketball."

You smile at the little girl. "Coach Reid is one of the best agents we have. He is incredible at what he does."

"Do you love anyone?" a young girl with brown hair asks you, cocking her head to the left.

You raise your eyebrows at this question. "Yes, I love a lot of people."

"Do you love Coach Reid?" that same young girl asked you, her head still leaning towards the left.

You open your mouth to answer the thought-provoking question, but Spencer beats you to it. "Well, girls, you guys can ask (Y/N) questions another time. Let's get ready to warm up! (Y/N) can help conduct those."

You nod towards the coach and ask the girls to line up behind a random little girl. They listen to you, whispering little nothings into each other's ear, probably about you and their coach. Reid passes you a ball, and you catch it.

"Who's ready to play a game called Knockout?"

The little girls just stand there, not really responding to your question. You look back at Reid and raise your eyebrows. He just purses his lips and shakes his head.

You had no idea that this was gonna be that bad.

~ time skip ~

What Reid did to these girls to bore them this much was beyond you, but these girls needed a serious lift of spirit. They were all bored to death out on the court. Nothing excited them until you showed up. You and Reid played a little game to demonstrate after your game of Knockout didn't seem too popular, and your victory over their coach definitely wowed them and gave them faith, and you think that it wowed Spencer, too. Getting the girls to get hyped on the court was a lot, but you definitely made progress with the girls. Most of them actually enjoyed the game today.

You know this because the girls are telling you how different it is now that you're here. Thank the Lord that Reid is in the bathroom right now.

"Coach Reid just tells us what to do. He never gets us ready like you do."

You nod, listening to the adorable little girl talking to you. "Well, your coach is a great coach. He gives you guys the right pointers and definitely knows how to win a game."

"But winning can get boring," another little girl says.

"Well, it certainly feels better than losing," you say, playing around with the basketball in your hand. You do these little tricks that the girls still find cool, but some of them are too lost in asking you questions.

"How'd you meet Coach Reid?"

"Well," you start, thinking back to the first day you ever laid eyes on the genius, "I first met your coach on the first day of my job. He had just started a few weeks ago so we were both still pretty new. He actually spilled water on me when he first met me. Ever since then, we were friends." You check your watch and realize that practice is over in ten minutes. You open your mouth to speak, but once again, Spencer beats you to it.

"Okay, girls, start packing up the basketballs! Your parents are outside. Someone else is out there to watch you guys get in your cars."

The girls stand up and start to gather as many basketballs and throw them in a big metal container.
They grab their coats and run to the door. You look back at Reid and smile.

"You run a tight ship here, huh, Dr. Reid?"

He smiles at you and looks down. "Yeah, these girls are really good. They just needed-"

"Motivation," you respond, cutting him off. "The girls needed something to motivate them."

Reid nods and fumbles with his fingers. "I know you had time for two more questions, but I wanted to ask those last two questions."

You nod your head and listen to him.

"Samantha - er, the girl with the brown hair - asked you if you loved me."

Yeah, you remembered Samantha.

"Do you?" he asked, his voice almost at a soft whisper. Looking at him intently, you nod your head.

"Yeah," you say. "I do. I always have."

Reid's eyes flick down to your lips as you two connect your lips in a kiss. Spence has no idea how long you've waited for this kiss, so even though it wasn't anything special, you still cherished every second of it all.

Once he pulls away, he looks at you and smiles. "Want to shoot some hoops together?"

You smile back at him and respond with, "I thought you'd never ask!"