My Plus One

The cold chain against your neck stings a little as you clip it on and adjust it, stroking the diamond heart on it. Spencer has given that necklace to you, not out of a gesture of love or affection, but as a gesture of "Will-You-Please-Be-My-Fake-Girlfriend-To-My-Fellow-Agent-Derek-Morgan's-Party," and you appreciated this gesture.

Your makeup wasn't too bright. It was a simple look, because you hated the big looks, although you probably would've been okay with flashy makeup since this was a party during the later hours of the evening. Your dress was a pretty maroon one that was high in the front and low in the back. It was a nice dress, a dress that you didn't wear out often, but you ripped it out of your closet for tonight.

Fixing yourself took the right amount of time, because as you pulled your hair back into a pristine pony-tail, a knock and a "(Y/N)! It's Spencer!" sounded from the outside of your door. A small smile formed on your lips as you pulled the door open, revealing the insanely attractive man behind the door.

You and Spencer have been friends since you two were kids. To you, it's always been simple: you weren't allowed to fall in love with him. But Lord knows that you do; you love Spencer more than you've loved any man. But you were always forced to keep your mouth shut about your undying feelings for the genius. Plus, you two do this all of the time: he's been your fake boyfriend for special events all of the time, whether they be work-related or something like that.

So basically, everyone kind of thinks you two are a thing.

"Wow," Spencer breathes, admiring you. Your cheeks warm as his eyes travel up and down you before he shakes his head a little, almost as if he didn't intend to say that out loud, and looks back up at your eyes. "You look great, (Y/N)."

"Thanks," you say, your cheeks still warm. "You look good, too."

"Now, look," he started, "I kind of told everyone that we're super in love and everything."

Your eyes bulge at this new information. "What?"

"I'm sorry!" he responds. "They kept asking about you, so I told them what they wanted to hear, and I ended up telling them that we're so in love and that we go on constant dates and everything."

"Spencer William Reid!" you exclaim. "Why'd you do that?! We're already lying to them, now we have to make it even worse."

"Well, it's not a total lie. We do hang out a lot. Just add in some romantic things like kissing and little poems and whatnot, and boom. It's just exaggeration," excuses Spencer.

You're left in shock as you stutter a soft, "O-Okay."

~ time skip ~

In all honesty, you didn't know what to expect from this party. When you would talk to Spencer, he wanted to escape the horrors of catching criminals and serial killers, and you understood that, so you didn't know much about Spencer's job. But, whatever the case may be, you were happy to be at the party with Spencer.

Upon your arrival, a bald man with darker skin and a goatee walks up to you, wearing an extravagant smile.

"Reid!" the man calls, his arms open like a bird stretching its wings. "So glad you came. Who's the lovely lady?"

"It's great to see you!" Spence calls back. Shock washes over you like a wave when Spencer plants a light kiss on your cheek. "This lovely lady is (Y/N), my girlfriend."

Even though Spencer's said that a million times in different occasions, you still got butterflies in your stomach every time.

"Ah, so I finally get to meet the celebrity herself!" the man says as he walks up to you and shakes your hand. "I'm Derek Morgan, it's great to meet you."

"The pleasure's all mine," you answer politely.

Derek and Spencer exchange a few words and a little laugh before he leads you two into the house, revealing a bunch of people. You're shocked at the immense amount: Spencer works with this many people? Your shock dials down as a group of professional-looking people appear from the crowd.

"Reid!" they all call. Do they not like using his first name? You find it strange.

"Hey, guys!" he responds, a smile on his face. "This is my girlfriend, (Y/N)."

Once again, he plants that kiss on your cheek that fills your stomach with butterflies.

Immediately, they all rush up to shake your hand, introducing themselves and saying something along the lines of "It's great to meet you!" or "We've heard so much about you."

Did he really talk about you that much?

Up first to ask you questions was a blonde-haired girl that called herself JJ. "So, how'd you meet our genius?"

"I actually have known him since we were little," you say. "We'd always play together, but he graduated high school at twelve, and I was still in seventh grade, so we went our separate ways. Then, a few years later, we ran into each other at a coffee shop, and..."

"And the rest is history!" Spencer added, planting a kiss on your head. "She's the woman of my dreams."

You had to keep reminding yourself that this was just an act.

"Where was the first date?" a brunette named Emily Prentiss asked.

"The first date? Of course! Oh, uh..." Spencer said, trying to think of somewhere.

"A lake!" you say, finishing his sentence. "If you want to go back to when we were kids, that is. We were young, I don't remember the exact age, but I remember that night. He brought me to this lake right by his house. We stayed there for almost the whole night. We ate some food and he told me a story about true love, and that's when I knew..."

You look up at Spencer. "That's when I knew I loved him."

He looks at you in disbelief, but this kind of disbelief wasn't awe. It was almost a realization of sorts. You expected the team to pick up on that, but the alcohol they had been drinking must've mellowed their senses, because they marveled over your story with variations of "That's just so cute!" and "Who knew our Reid was so romantic?"

They all were very nice people, and definitely not the intimidating type, as you had expected. They were kind and welcoming. Heck, they even cracked a joke or two about you and Spencer. Overall, you had a very nice time meeting them, but it was time to go. Not only was Spencer tired, but you were tired, too.

You two walked out of the house, hand in hand. A smile resides on your lips as you look down at your feet.

"Can I ask you something?" he asks.

"Sure."

"About the lake... was all of that true?"

Your lips purse as your cheeks warm. You thought that he would've forgotten that by now. But, having no way to dodge the question, you look up at him and clear your throat.

"Yes," you say shakily, almost fearing his response. "It was all true. Ever since we were kids. I went home that night and told my mom that I wanted to marry you, and she never doubted me. I've loved you for the longest time, Spencer, and I wanted to tell you. I just..."

"... Didn't know how to tell me?" he finishes for you.

"Yes."

You look away from him, scared of his answer. You knew that you two were never going to be a thing. Why'd you let that slip?

As you're mentally beating yourself up, Spencer grabs you and pulls you close as his lips find yours. Half of you is shocked, while the other half is somewhat relieved: relieved that you didn't have to bear the weight of not knowing if he loved you or not anymore.

Once he pulls away, he looks you in the eye and says, "I've loved you since the lake, too. Now, come on. Let's go home and watch some movies."

You smile at him. "You know, you really are my favorite plus one."