CHAPTER 2

JULIA

I reach my car and I sit in it for a minute. After bumping into Sierra I have big grin on my face. Even though she wore a big baggy UCLA sweat shirt, track pants and a ball cap on. I could tell she was beautiful. She has big beautiful eyes one greenish and the other blue. They were so intense that I kept staring into them. She had to be the only one in the world with such crazy beautiful eyes.

I start the car and drive home in silence. After exams I always like to wind down in total silence. Well, being in LA there isn’t much silence when you are driving but the street noise somehow calms me down. 

I reach my parent’s house in about twenty minutes. I live with my parents but I live above the garage. They had renovated it for me and turned it into a beautiful two bedroom apartment. My dad said he wanted me to concentrate on my studies and not to have to worry about finding a job, but he understood I needed my own space. So, when they found out that I had got accepted into UCLA law school they had surprised me with my own apartment.

Dad says that it’s a great investment because they will rent it out to a couple of students when I move out. Being so close to the university I can see the apartment being rented out within days.

I open up the garage door and drive through. I step out of the car and take off my heels before walking up the stairs. Man my feet hurt, I love these new shoes but they are killing my feet. I think I just need to wear them a little more to break them in.

I walk up the stairs and throw my shoes in the hall closet. I then walk into the hallway before going to the bedroom. I love this place I’m going to miss it when I leave here. It is an open concept; my living room, dining room and kitchen were all one big great room. The colours are simple but elegant. Everything was black, grey and white with pops of different shades of purple everywhere.

I walk past a bathroom and the second bedroom heading towards the back of the apartment and walk into my room. My gorgeous room, it too had the same colour scheme as the rest of the apartment. With a huge king sized bed and on-suite. I jump on the bed, “Augh”, I said as kitty jumps on me. Yes I named my cat kitty. She is a tiger cat with white paws.

“Hello Kitty, how are you today?” I ask as she purrs sitting on my chest I continue to pet her for a few more minutes then I get up and change my clothes into something a little more comfy. I spot my favourite shorts and tank top on my chair in the corner and throw my hair up in a messy bun. I go back on the bed and start day dreaming about Sierra. Mmm Sierra, I wonder what she looked like without the baggy clothes and her hair down.

Remembering that Sierra had given me an invitation I got off the bed and went to retrieve the invite from my purse. 7pm it said, that was four hours away. I wonder if I should go or not, I really wanted to go. I pick up my cell phone and send Toni a text.

“Hey gyrl I’m gonna have 2 cancel 4 2nite. I hope ur not mad?” I typed on my cell. I started walking back to my room when my cell vibrated in my hand.

“Wha, Y? I have been looking forward 2 seeing u….it’s been 4ever, I miss u”, Toni replied

“I miss u 2 but something’s came up and I have no choice, sorry.” I lied. I really didn’t lie to her something did come up, something better. But I wasn’t about to tell Toni that. Toni was an amazing girl but we didn’t have that spark. We had gone out a few times and I made the mistake of sleeping with her once and now she wants to be around me all the time. And I just wasn’t feeling that.

I wasn’t a player by any means but I did do a lot of dating trying to find that special woman that I could be myself with. Someone I could totally connect with. I didn’t sleep with them besides Toni. The only reason I had done that was because I got drunk at a club one night. I was rambling about not being able to find the perfect woman and I didn’t realize I had a pyramid of shot glasses in front of me.

My phone vibrated again. “It’s ok have fun”, Toni texted.

Nice, now that I have shaken free from her tonight I need to go lie down and have a quick nap before the party. I lie down on my bed and grab the blanket at the foot of the bed and I start to drift off into a deep sleep.

“Meow”, I hear Kitty off in the background somewhere. She jumped on the bed and started rubbing her head against mine. I struggle to open up my eyes because I’m still so tried then I realize its dark out. Shit, what time is it? I jump out of bed and look at my alarm clock, 8:15. No, that can’t be. Why didn’t I set my alarm? I run in the bathroom and turn on shower. I need to find a shower cap because there is no way I will have time to wash my hair and blow dry it.

I was done my shower in less than five minutes. That must be a new record for me. While I was in the shower I even decided what I was going to wear. It was this cute dark green halter top dress that I had bought last weekend and I hadn’t had a chance to wear it yet.

I like to air dry when I get out of the shower but I had no time for that tonight. I reach in the linen closet by the shower and grab a towel and start drying off. I then head towards my walk in closet to put my dress on. I have to admit this dress looks smoking hot on me, now I need to find some shoes to wear. I look around for a few minutes then I spotted a pair of silver sandals with a three inch heel. Perfect. This would go nice with some silver accessories and my silver clutch purse.

I go back into the bathroom, throw on some make-up and I give my hair a quick brush and shake and run out the room.

I grab my keys and the invitation and head down the stairs. I can’t believe how late I am, it’s already 8:35. I still can’t believe it only took me twenty minutes to shower, get dressed and out the door. That’s definitely a new record for me.

I hop in my car, plug Sierra’s mom’s address in my GPS and open the garage door. Sweet, her mom only lives ten minutes away. I plugged in my iPhone and back out of the driveway, the sound of Snoop Dogg filled my car.

I arrived at Sierra’s mom’s place and park across the street. I pick up my purse that was in the passenger’s seat and I take one last look in the mirror, I grab my keys and I get out of the car. I lock the doors and shove the keys into my purse. I straighten out my dress and start walking towards the house.

I hear music and laughter in the night air. I see a sign with an arrow on it pointing towards the fence. As I walk over I take a deep breath and open up the gate.

There were people and decorations everywhere, a DJ was playing music over on the other side of the yard and beside him was a bar and food tables. Wow, they had really gone all out. I scan the yard looking for Sierra but I don’t see her then I realized I probably wouldn’t know what she looked like if she dressed up.

I start to think this is a stupid idea and regret coming when I hear the music stop and I small petite woman starts to speak.

“Thank you all for coming, here tonight to celebrate my little angel’s graduation party”, the woman spoke. “As you all know Sierra is the first one of our family to graduate from university”, everyone starts hollering, whistling and yelling “Way to go Sierra”.  “And I just want you to know; Sierra I am very proud of you and your father would have been proud of you too”, the woman says with a small quiver in her voice.

Just then a beautiful curvy woman wearing a strapless white dress and long brown hair done in a nice up-do walked up the patio stairs and takes the mic from the woman. She kisses her on the cheek and says “Thanks mom”.

Mom! My mouth dropped open. Is that Sierra? She is gorgeous. I knew she would be beautiful but that woman standing there was totally stunning. Just then she turns and spots me and a big smile spreads across her face.

                                                *******************************

WHAT DO YOU THINK SO FAR?

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE…THANKS!