•Chapter number forty-two•

Bad, bad butterflies in my chest
There's something I gotta confess
Yes, somebody's stuck in my head."
Bad Kind Of Butterflies; Camila Cabello

-

„Holy fuck," Betty muttered when she finished my make-up. I opened my eyes to look into the mirror and holy testicle Tuesday, she did an excellent job, „if I didn't know you I would gladly smash you."

„That's great to know," I giggled nervously and went to the bedroom where a long black dress was waiting for me. It's the most stunning dress I've ever seen so there was a little insecurity from my side, „Beths?" I called after her and she swiftly jogged to me, „isn't it maybe too much?" I asked, eyeing the smooth fabric.

„Absolutely not."

„Are you sure? It's a team dinner, not a gala."

„So what? You want to show what he's been missing, so let him see!" Betty exclaimed, „just don't feel insecure, babe. You are beautiful inside out and if he doesn't see it, he doesn't deserve you," she softly caressed my cheek making me smile, „just promise me you won't torture yourself because of him. He is not worth it."

„I promise," I said although I didn't believe it myself. To my luck, Betty didn't recognise my little lie. She briefly kissed my cheek and went to the bathroom to get herself ready.

-

„See? I told you we will be late," I grunted when we entered the restaurant and everybody was already there.

„Relax, they wouldn't start without us," Betty waved her hand and smiled at Joe who was approaching us. He stopped in front of me, watching me with widened eyes.

„Who are you and what have you done to Alexandrina?" he blurted out and I laughed loudly.

„Don't be so dramatic, Joey," I waved my hand before wrapping him in a light hug.

„Lance is here with Mia," he whispered in my ear while we were hugging, „I thought they broke up."

„Apparently they are back together and more in love than ever been," I snorted when we broke apart.

„Alex, you promised me you won't torture yourself with him," Betty crossed her arms over her chest.

„You think it's easy to act like I don't care?"

„Another thing," Joe interrupted me, „your place is right against them. I'm sorry," I looked at Joe with burning flames in my eyes and he took a step backwards.

„You couldn't tell me sooner?"

„I-"

„I have an idea," Betty suddenly spoke up, „give me your phone," she outstretched her hand to me.

„What?"

„Don't say a word and give me your goddamn phone."

„But why?"

„Don't ask and just do it. Trust me," she raised her eyebrows and motioned her fingers. I sighed and gave her the phone.

„Excellent. Come with me, Joey. And you," she pointed to me, „show a Hollywood smile and suck it up. We'll figure something out," she grabbed Joe's arm and before I could say anything, they were already gone. Awesome. I took a deep breath before coming to the table. You got this, Alexandrina. You got this.