Promise

Ayla, Malcolm, and Jack still hadn't shown up to the airport, and Finn was beginning to feel anxious.

He yanked his phone out of his pocket angrily after an hour of waiting and rapidly shot Jack a text.

Where the hell are you?

The blond boy didn't reply for a full five minutes, and five minutes was way too long.

I'm at home on my couch...?

Finn couldn't believe his eyes. What the fuck was Jack doing at his house when they had a flight to catch in less than an hour?

He texted back, Dude, what the fuck! We have a concert tonight in Calgary!

Jack's response was almost instantaneous this time: No we don't. We cancelled it cause you're kind of in prison.

Then he seemingly grew a brain. Shit dude, how are you texting me right now? Did you get out?!

Finn couldn't stand the conversation anymore and left his bassist on read, slipping his phone back into his pocket. He faced Caleb, who was staring expectantly at him.

"Well? Where are they?" he asked.

"They cancelled the concert cause they thought I was still in jail," Finn muttered, annoyance prickling at his skin. "Probably should've told them I got out almost two days ago."

"Well, shit, Finn." Lilia intervened before Caleb could lose his fiery temper. She sighed and dropped her head into her hands. "If there's no concert I guess we should just go back home and—"

"Hey. Aren't you supposed to be in jail?"

Lilia stopped speaking and directed her gaze downward, to the source of the new voice standing behind Finn. A little boy with enormous brown eyes and black hair, no older than seven, was gazing up at the celebrity in wonder.

Finn stared for a moment, unsure of where the boy had materialized from. "Um...yeah, but I got out," he told him dismissively.

"Did you break out?" the boy prompted. "Did you do a prison break?"

"No. A girl came and got me out with her money." Finn absently looked around the airport for any possible sign of the child's mother, but he couldn't see anyone obvious.

"What girl?"

"Uhh, a girl I met a few days ago. Her name is Millie."

The boy's huge eyes somehow grew even larger at Finn's words, as if they had so much meaning he couldn't even begin to process them. "Do you like her?"

Finn met the kid's massive irises and raised an eyebrow. "Well, kid, she's obnoxious, big-headed, and she talks too much. And she punched me in the jaw today. So no, not particularly."

"I bet you do," the little boy insisted, flashing Finn a cute smile. "I bet you think she's pretty."

"Oliver!"

A tall, thin woman with tanned skin came pushing through the crowd of people toward the group just then, eyes focused on the boy.

Finn silently thanked her for coming before he had the chance to teach her son some choice words.

The woman grabbed Oliver by the arm and scolded him for running away from her. She was about to thank the party for finding him when she paused on Finn's face. "Wait. You're Finn Wolfhard, aren't you? Why are you not in prison?"

"I got bailed out," he grumbled, tired of answering the question. He'd answered it at least thirty times since arriving at the airport. "False charges."