Epilogue

Finn looked around him in wonder. He seemed to be sitting on a hill, the long, wavy grass swishing beneath him comfortingly.

The sky was a gorgeous, cloudless blue and birds flew overhead as Finn watched. Trees' leaves rustled in the distance, and he saw a beautiful grove of them off to the right. The day was warm with a nice breeze. It was perfect.

He looked down at himself and was shocked to see that he was nineteen again, clothed in a button down white shirt that was open at the top and plain gray trousers. He was barefoot. Hadn't he just been eighty-seven, dying of a heart attack in the hospital?

Shit, he was dead? Well, if this was Heaven, then it was the most beautiful place he had ever seen.

Finn had never married. He'd never even had another girlfriend, or talked to any girls seriously. After Millie died, he had just lived his life, knowing that he would never find a greater love than the one he had shared with her.

Millie.

Finn's heart jolted, and he scrambled to his feet, looking around for any sign of her. If he was dead, she must be here. After waiting sixty-eight years to see her again, was now the time?

The sound of approaching footsteps reached his ear, and he spun around quickly. There, standing about fifty feet away from him at the top of the hill, was his Millie Mars.

He stared at her, his mouth open in awe, not believing his own two eyes.

She was still eighteen, just as he had magically become nineteen again. She was clothed in a plain yet beautiful flowing white dress that flapped around her legs in the wind. Her gorgeous brown-blonde hair swept across her face delicately, and every part of that face was smiling at him. She was barefoot as well, and took another step toward him before reaching up to tuck a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Have you been waiting for me?" she asked in amusement, and hearing her bell-chime voice for the first time in almost seven decades made Finn nearly melt from happiness.

"You have no idea," he replied breathlessly, closing the distance between them in a few long strides.

He took her face gently in his hands and kissed her passionately as she giggled against his mouth. He pulled away, his eyes filled with more love than he'd felt for her even in life. He supposed in Heaven, everything was flawlessly perfect, and nothing could get in the way of how he felt about her. "God, I love you," he whispered, and pulled her against him again, kissing her until the sun had traveled halfway across the sky.

An hour later, they lay in the grass on their backs, staring up at the sunset that was the prettiest Finn had ever seen.

"They're this beautiful every evening," Millie murmured beside him, referring to the sunsets. "I'm not sure how many I've watched while I've waited for you, but...I know it was quite a lot. And now you're here. Now we can watch them together." She turned her head to look at him, and he gazed at her right back. "You're the one thing that could've made Heaven better," she whispered. "Now it's perfect."

Finn kissed her again, and they stayed there together until the sun disappeared behind the hills and they were shrouded in a starry night that was just as pretty as the day had been.

Heaven is not a place I used to believe I would end up, Finn thought as he watched Millie sleep beside him. But she changed me, and I managed to claw my way here. With her.

Forever with her was all he'd ever wanted. And now he had it.

The End.

_____

Hello, my beautiful readers. I added this epilogue on a whim as a way to tie up the story. They still got to be together, because love always wins🥺 I cried writing the last three chapters.
I listened to Married Life from the movie Up while writing them and it was not fun.

This story has come to a close, but my writing has not. Go read We're Only Dreaming if you haven't already! Chapter 1 has been up for a little over a week now! I love you guys more than you know and I can't thank you enough for reading my work. It means everything to me. ❤️
-Bailey