Little Diamonds

The next week was crazy even by the standards of someone who had been famous and involved with thousands of top-tier events for six years and was very familiar with rushing. And that said a lot.

Millie drug Finn all over Vancouver, visiting orphanages, daycares, more parks, and even stopping to speak to elementary school kids leaving their schools at the end of the day. Millie felt odd seeing the school children, since she was supposed to be in school as well.

She knew that Finn was probably wondering why she didn't go, but he never asked questions about it.

Every day he got much better with the young ones. He spoke with a kinder tone and even stooped down a little to be on a more eye to eye level with smaller children. And on Thursday, Millie was proud to let him know, he didn't curse a single time around a kid. He nearly jumped for joy when she told him.

"That's a huge accomplishment for me!" he exclaimed cheerfully. "You know, not calling a kid a dickwad or telling one to fuck off. But, now that we're done for the day..." He grinned slyly at Millie before letting out a stream of curses that would have made Gordon Ramsey quake in his shoes.

"Finn!" Millie scolded through her laughter. "That was awful! You'd better not do that on Saturday. There's gonna be a lot of kids at the airport tomorrow, too."

"Shit, we're leaving tomorrow?" Finn shook his head in disbelief. "Where did the time go?"

Millie shrugged playfully and gave him a silly look. "I guess we've just been having way too much fun."

The day was a dreary one, rainy with cloudy grey skies and puddles as large as ponds in the streets. It was perfect.

It wasn't perfect for most people, but for Finn and Millie, they couldn't have asked for better weather. The rain allowed then to have this certain park all to themselves, no matter how wet the equipment was.

Finn stood up from his swing, and Millie snorted with laughter. "It looks like you pissed yourself."

"I'm sure your pants aren't faring any better," he retorted, grinning at her before slapping his own ass.

"You're never gonna know," she pointed out in amusement. "I'm not letting you look at my ass, and you know it."

"How do you know I haven't already?"

Millie shoved him as hard as she could and ran. He gave chase, as she had hoped, shouting, "Get back here, you little bitch!"

"Nope, sorry!" She dashed up the plastic green stairs of the main playground and approached the biggest slide there was. "Come and get me, string bean!" she called before launching herself down the slide, giggling all the way to the bottom.

But it was not only mulch at the bottom. There was also a celebrity with curly black hair and freckles there, arms outstretched and ready to ambush her, knowing she was going too fast to stop.

"Shit!" Millie gasped, but she was not too upset that Finn had basically already caught her. It was a weird thing to admit to herself, but she was having a lot of fun with him. The guy that had lied to her and hurt her so many times was...also the guy she enjoyed being around.

She reached the end of the slide and squealed in fake terror as Finn wrapped his arms around her and pretended to capture her. "That was too easy, Millie Mars," he panted, smiling and straightening back up. "Too predictable."

"Yeah? I'd like to see you try to outrun me," Millie retorted, smirking up at him from the bottom of the slide.

"Just know that this string bean can run faster than a fucking cheetah." Finn laughed at her amused expression. "Uh, yeah, I heard what you called me. And I happen to think I'm much better at coming up with nicknames than you are."